Jun 21, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
The Washington Wizards have apparently fallen in love with Enes Kanter’s combination of size and skill, and it appears as though they’re looking to move up in the draft in order to get him.
According to Draft Express’ Jonathan Givony, the Wizards are discussing a trade that would involve them giving their #6 pick to the Jazz, as well as the #18 pick, for Utah’s #3 overall pick. The Wizards would take Kanter, and the Jazz would take whoever is left between Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker.
Probasketballdraft.com also has the Wizards trying to move up, and say they’re in discussions with the Cavaliers about their #4 pick. The Cavs were widely selected to take Lithuanian big man Jonas Valanciunas with the #4 pick, but his buyout issues mean that he will likely be available later in the draft. If the Cavs traded down, they may be able to grab Valanciunas, wait for him as he plays out his contract in Europe next season, and be able to grab another pick as well.
The Valanciunas news has sent shockwaves through the top-5 of the draft; we likely won’t know how all of this will end up playing out until after Thursday’s draft is over.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 19
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65