Jun 21, 2011, 2:38 PM EDT
From the NBC Sports Department of the Obvious, we bring you this news:
The New York Knicks still have interest in getting Steve Nash.
There have been renewed whispers the Knicks have inquired about Suns point guard Steve Nash, who lives in SoHo in the offseason. The Knicks have talked internally about trading Chauncey Billups for Nash as both have expiring contracts. But there does not appear any reason for Suns owner Robert Sarver to make a move and give Mike D’Antoni a chance to reunite with his favorite son.
And now we get to the meat of the problem with all the Knicks trade rumors — they have nothing to trade. Outside of the limited appeal of Landry Fields and Billups, there is nothing left on that roster with real trade value. Everybody good went to Denver to get Carmelo Anthony.
Also, the Suns are not looking to trade Nash. He is an institution in Phoenix, he is the guy that fans love, the guy they pay to see. Suns fans are emotionally attached to him. Trade him and Sarver pisses off his fan base. To appease that if the Suns eventually do trade Nash, they are going to have to get something the fans love. The expiring contract of Chauncey Billups is not that.
But the Nash dream will not die easily in New York.
- Timberwolves’ coach Rick Adelman announcenes retirement 7
- Knicks fire Mike Woodson 30
- Monday NBA playoff previews: Expect a different looking Clippers/Warriors game. 1
- Sunday NBA grades: Nene, Aldridge lead day where big men shine 5
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s Trail Blazers claw back for Game 1 win over Houston Rockets 18