Jun 21, 2011, 11:01 AM EDT
All over Los Angeles there seems to be a case of “trade Pau Gasol fever.”
Which is just flat-out stupid overreaction by Lakers fans, but there you go. This guy was the No. 2 reason the team won back-to-back rings, was the team’s MVP for the first 30 games of last season, then wore down physically after playing 400 games over 4 seasons (like every other Laker) and you want to trade him? For Kevin Love, a guy who never leaves a rebounding position to contest a shot on defense?
That would be foolish.
But that may be what the Lakers themselves are doing.
Know that Gasol himself does not want to be traded. He told the Spanish news service AFP he wants to stay a Laker.
“My desire is to stay with the Lakers. I don’t have control over it but I want to stay with the Lakers for as many years as I can to be able to remain eligible for the maximum possible championships,” Gasol told reporters in the northeastern city of Alicante.
Lakers media incorrectly reporting that teams calling Lakers about Pau Gasol. It’s the other way around. No one in big hurry to help LA.
Take that report with a lot of salt. A whole lot of it. As part of the Los Angeles based media, I will say that the Lakers have been very insistent that they both need to make changes and do not plan to break up a core of the most skilled big men in the league. They want to change styles of play, get more defensive focused and get more athletic, but they won their titles because of Kobe and because they had the most skilled front line in the game. They are not kidding that they are not looking to change that.
But if you want to think an Ohio-based reporter has better info on the Lakers than the guys in Los Angeles, well, believe what you want… unless you believe that Kevin Love and the No. 2 pick is equal value for Gasol. Then you’re just wrong. (And the Wolves said they wouldn’t do that trade anyway.)
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 5
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 8
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4