Jun 21, 2011, 2:13 PM EDT
We’ve been telling you this was coming since last week, everybody except your mom has been telling you Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey would coach the Raptors since last week. (She kept telling you not to forget Father’s Day.)
Now it is official, Casey is the man in Toronto.
Bryan Colangelo — the GM that built the seven-seconds-or-less Suns before going to the Raptors — has changed the course of this team with this hire. Defense is now the priority in Toronto. For the past two seasons the Raptors finished dead last in the league in defensive efficiency, Casey is supposed to change that.
Casey replaces Jay Triano, who led the Raptors to just 22 wins last season. Triano is a good guy. Triano could not get the Raptors to play defense. This was a wildly undisciplined group on that end of the floor. For two seasons.
Casey has some real work ahead of him to change the defensive culture in Toronto, because the roster is not defensive minded. Dallas had veterans that would do what it takes to win, Toronto has Andrea Bargnani. More than schemes and focus, the Raptors needs some better defensive players, too. But a real forced commitment on that end of the floor will help.
Casey was 53-69 during a year and a half with the Timberwolves from 2005 to 2007. He started his second season 20-20 when he was fired, the Wolves went 12-30 the rest of the way (that roster had Kevin Garnett then the next best player was Ricky Davis). The last two seasons the Wolves couldn’t win 20 games when they had a full 82 games to try.
Casey been a defensive minded assistant in a few places now and had success, including in Dallas during these playoffs. He got a head job he deserved. But this is going to be a real challenge for him.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85