Jun 21, 2011, 8:49 AM EST
At some point in the future (hopefully not to distant future, but who knows), there will be a free agency period.
And when it comes, a battle tested, champion power forward (who struggled this last playoffs) will be on the market in Boston’s Glen Davis. And he is going to see what that market will offer.
That’s what he told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England when asked if his first choice was to remain a Celtic.
“My choice is what’s best for my family and career. That’s what I concentrate on. I love being here in Boston. But if it’s not going to benefit me and my family, I’ll pick up (and play elsewhere).
“That’s my concern. That’s the only thing I’m focused on now; my family’s well-being and my career as a player … what situation is going to help Glen Davis be Glen Davis.”
Glen Davis is really what has stood in the way of Glen Davis being Glen Davis, but we’ll save that for another day. Blakely also details how Davis has had a rocky relationship with Doc Rivers over the years and how that could impact a return to the Celtics. Rivers is now locked in with a new deal to remain as coach for the forseeable future, and that could be something that pushes Davis out the door.
Davis played 29.5 minutes per game last season and gave Boston 11.7 points and just 5.4 boards. Solid numbers. Then in the playoffs he really struggled (4.9 points per game on 39 percent shooting). It leaves the question of how much teams might really be willing to spend on a guy that is really more of a backup than a starter.
Until we see the new Collective Bargaining Agreement we don’t what teams can spend, both the Celtics and other teams. Because of that it’s a rough summer to be a free agent. But Davis is good with that
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 0
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 4
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 5
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (39)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)