Celtics Glen Davis going to look at free agency options

Jun 21, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT

Boston Celtics v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

At some point in the future (hopefully not to distant future, but who knows), there will be a free agency period.

And when it comes, a battle tested, champion power forward (who struggled this last playoffs) will be on the market in Boston’s Glen Davis. And he is going to see what that market will offer.

That’s what he told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England when asked if his first choice was to remain a Celtic.

“My choice is what’s best for my family and career. That’s what I concentrate on. I love being here in Boston. But if it’s not going to benefit me and my family, I’ll pick up (and play elsewhere).

“That’s my concern. That’s the only thing I’m focused on now; my family’s well-being and my career as a player … what situation is going to help Glen Davis be Glen Davis.”

Glen Davis is really what has stood in the way of Glen Davis being Glen Davis, but we’ll save that for another day. Blakely also details how Davis has had a rocky relationship with Doc Rivers over the years and how that could impact a return to the Celtics. Rivers is now locked in with a new deal to remain as coach for the forseeable future, and that could be something that pushes Davis out the door.

Davis played 29.5 minutes per game last season and gave Boston 11.7 points and just 5.4 boards. Solid numbers. Then in the playoffs he really struggled (4.9 points per game on 39 percent shooting). It leaves the question of how much teams might really be willing to spend on a guy that is really more of a backup than a starter.

Until we see the new Collective Bargaining Agreement we don’t what teams can spend, both the Celtics and other teams. Because of that it’s a rough summer to be a free agent. But Davis is good with that

1. barkley4life - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:02 AM

He may not be a starter…but if you have him coming off your bench he will give you solid minutes and he is perfect on team that runs pick and pop or has guys that draw doubles. His mid range game is pretty damn good for a guy his size….but damn does he not get his shot blocked like a hundred times a game? lol

2. passerby23 - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Sometimes the grass is not always greener on the other side. I think Glen Davis should realize he’s got a good thing in Boston where he’s on a perennial contender and his role is well defined. Bring back the Big Three, Rondo, Davis, re-sign Jeff green and make a couple roster moves and this team has another run in them. He’s a backup player, whether it’s in Boston or somewhere else.

3. heathavoc - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:50 AM

How about a government bailout? The Feds can take ownership if 60% of each team and absorb all of its debt, problem solved! Seriously though, I think the owners have created their own monster and now want to slay that dragon, but not too much, enough that the dragon can still do their bidding. I dont feel bad for them. The average person cannot own a basketball franchise, and these billionaires bought these half billion dollar teams and in their endevor to double its value? paid out millions upon millions to players and coaches.

4. whodatarian9 - Jun 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Did anybody else notice the caption of this picture?

• Kurt Helin - Jun 21, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I had not (it’s not what is in the caption space and doesn’t show up on my end until you look at the page) so I switched out the photo.

5. pooflinger1234 - Jun 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

he is done in Boston. He wants to start , he got fatter as the season went on and stoped hitting jump shots. He thinks he is a star but he’s not. Love him but it’s time to move on.

6. chargerdillon - Jun 21, 2011 at 12:01 PM

This guy would fit on anybodys team in a 6th man role like Lamar Odom or Jason Terry. I personally don’t like him but he’s a physical beast who can push around the boards and I would only be happy if he was on my team (as a bench player)

7. bobwsc - Jun 21, 2011 at 2:03 PM

everyone loves Rivers but Baby has issues with him, and has taken to talking in 3rd person, a la Ricky Henderson. let him go be Glen Davis elsewhere.

How Cleveland was fit for a King