Jun 21, 2011, 5:22 PM EDT
Grantland.com’s Davy Rothbart did a really interesting interview with draft prospect and possible lottery pick Bismack Biyombo earlier today. Here’s one interesting tidbit on the players Biyombo idolizes and tries to model his game after:
Grantland: Who are your favorite players?
Biyombo: Hakeem Olajuwon, this is my favorite player. But there are two others I idolize in the way they play the game. Kevin Garnett — I like the way he wants to win every game. Every time he’s on the floor, he plays intense and plays hard. When he’s not on the floor, you can see the team missing him. On the other hand is Kevin Love. Some of the time people say, “You’re crazy man. Why you’re taking about Kevin Love? The reason why I say Kevin Love is that I love him, I love the way he plays the game. He’s smart; he knows where to be to get the rebound. He’s the best guy at grabbing the rebound over anyone. Watching him, that makes me learn something. At the end of the day, I’m never gonna be Kevin Love, I’m never gonna be Kevin Garnett, and also I’m never gonna be Hakeem Olajuwon. At the end of the day, I’m just gonna be me. Which means, I’m just gonna take some things from each of them, and that’s gonna make me a little better.
Garnett still plays help-and-recover defense with as much passion and intensity as anybody in the league, and Love is almost without question the league’s most skilled fundamental rebounder. Not bad players for Biyombo, who by all accounts is a monster on defense and on the glass, to try and emulate. I encourage you to read the rest of the interview, which has some great stuff about Biyombo’s ability to speak five languages, his love of the movies, and even the status of his romantic life.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 25
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27