Jun 20, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
We told you last week he was the frontrunner. Now it looks like in the next couple days it will become official.
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that current Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey is on the verge of being named the Toronto head coach.
Just got a call from a Toronto source saying that Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey is expected to be announced as head coach of the Raptors. It could be announced this afternoon.
Actually, probably not Monday afternoon as the Raptors are deep in some draft workouts on Monday with Bismack Biyombo and others in New York. Tuesday seems more likely. But soon.
Casey deserves another shot in the big chair. He was 53-69 during a year and a half with the Timberwolves from 2005 to 2007. He started his second season 20-20 when he was fired, the Wolves went 12-30 the rest of the way (look at that roster, it was Kevin Garnett then the next best player was Ricky Davis, 20-20 was working miracles). He’s been a defensive minded assistant in a few places now and had success, including in Dallas during these playoffs.
This would be a good hire by the Raptors. Or maybe we should say will be.
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7