Jun 20, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
We told you last week he was the frontrunner. Now it looks like in the next couple days it will become official.
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that current Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey is on the verge of being named the Toronto head coach.
Just got a call from a Toronto source saying that Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey is expected to be announced as head coach of the Raptors. It could be announced this afternoon.
Actually, probably not Monday afternoon as the Raptors are deep in some draft workouts on Monday with Bismack Biyombo and others in New York. Tuesday seems more likely. But soon.
Casey deserves another shot in the big chair. He was 53-69 during a year and a half with the Timberwolves from 2005 to 2007. He started his second season 20-20 when he was fired, the Wolves went 12-30 the rest of the way (look at that roster, it was Kevin Garnett then the next best player was Ricky Davis, 20-20 was working miracles). He’s been a defensive minded assistant in a few places now and had success, including in Dallas during these playoffs.
This would be a good hire by the Raptors. Or maybe we should say will be.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13