Jun 20, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
We told you last week he was the frontrunner. Now it looks like in the next couple days it will become official.
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that current Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey is on the verge of being named the Toronto head coach.
Just got a call from a Toronto source saying that Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey is expected to be announced as head coach of the Raptors. It could be announced this afternoon.
Actually, probably not Monday afternoon as the Raptors are deep in some draft workouts on Monday with Bismack Biyombo and others in New York. Tuesday seems more likely. But soon.
Casey deserves another shot in the big chair. He was 53-69 during a year and a half with the Timberwolves from 2005 to 2007. He started his second season 20-20 when he was fired, the Wolves went 12-30 the rest of the way (look at that roster, it was Kevin Garnett then the next best player was Ricky Davis, 20-20 was working miracles). He’s been a defensive minded assistant in a few places now and had success, including in Dallas during these playoffs.
This would be a good hire by the Raptors. Or maybe we should say will be.
- Report: Suns, Eric Bledsoe have ‘made progress’ on a new contract in last couple of days 0
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 4
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16