Jun 20, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
We told you last week he was the frontrunner. Now it looks like in the next couple days it will become official.
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that current Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey is on the verge of being named the Toronto head coach.
Just got a call from a Toronto source saying that Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey is expected to be announced as head coach of the Raptors. It could be announced this afternoon.
Actually, probably not Monday afternoon as the Raptors are deep in some draft workouts on Monday with Bismack Biyombo and others in New York. Tuesday seems more likely. But soon.
Casey deserves another shot in the big chair. He was 53-69 during a year and a half with the Timberwolves from 2005 to 2007. He started his second season 20-20 when he was fired, the Wolves went 12-30 the rest of the way (look at that roster, it was Kevin Garnett then the next best player was Ricky Davis, 20-20 was working miracles). He’s been a defensive minded assistant in a few places now and had success, including in Dallas during these playoffs.
This would be a good hire by the Raptors. Or maybe we should say will be.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 7
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 7
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 19
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64