Jun 20, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
The top 5 of the 2011 draft, which has already seen Harrison Barnes and Perry Jones drop out of it, seems to have had yet another shakeup. Per ESPN.com’s Chad Ford:
Valanciunas update: Sources say buyout agreement close, however, buyout won’t allow Valanciunas to play in NBA next season.
If Valanciunas can’t play in NBA next year, he’ll drop. Cavs won’t take him at 4. Still I doubt he slips past the Rockets at 14.
This is huge news. Valanciunas seemed like a natural fit for the Cavs with the #4 pick, but now everything has changed. If the Cavs take Irving with the #1 pick and the Jazz take Enes Kanter with the #3 pick, the best non-point guard prospects on the board are Jan Vesely, Bismack Biyombo, and Kawhi Leonard, and none of them have Valanciunas’ combination of size, efficiency, and upside.
The Cavs could change their plans up and take Derrick Williams with the #1 and a point guard like Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker with the #4 pick, but neither Williams, Walker, or Knight are anywhere near as safe of a pick as Irving is. It’s been a rough year for the Cavaliers all the way around, and things just got a little bit tougher for them.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6