Jun 20, 2011, 10:07 AM EST
Just a few years back, Brian Shaw got the chance to interview to be the head coach of the Indiana Pacers. Didn’t work out, they went with Jim O’Brien instead.
Now, Shaw is back in Indiana interviewing, but this time to be the lead assistant for Frank Vogel.
Shaw has been the lead assistant for Phil Jackson the last two years in Los Angeles and has been on the staff there since 2004 (he worked as a scout for the team for a couple years before moving to the bench). He has been knocking on the door of getting a head coaching job for years, interviewing a lot of places but never being the guy who gets the job.
Shaw could be a good fit, he brings a new perspective and some quality playoff experience to Vogel’s staff. Shaw was well liked by Lakers players — Kobe Bryant and others pushed for him to get the Lakers coaching job but Jim Buss wanted to rid the organization of all things Jackson.
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 2
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 20
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 16
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 28
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 42