Jun 19, 2011, 7:00 PM EST
From Fox Sports Ohio’s Sam Amico:
A couple insiders have said the Cavs again are exploring some sort of deal for Memphis forward Rudy Gay. Perhaps their best selling point would be to mention how well the Grizzlies fared in the playoffs without him.
Gay continues to be discussed in trade rumors despite management’s insistence he is not available. The same thing happened with O.J. Mayo last season until Mayo was on the verge of heading to Indiana. But Rudy’s a whole other matter. He’s the best player on the Grizzlies (yes, even with Zach Randolph), able to make an impact on both ends of the floor, and was on his way towards a career year before a shoulder injury put him on the shelf and opened up all these rumors.
After all, if you were so good without him, why not trade him for players that are worse than he is and hope they fit? Wait, no, that doesn’t sound right at all.
Cleveland getting RG would be a good call for them, however, giving them a versatile small forward to work with Kyrie Irving and provide scoring punch. Amico also says Cleveland has talked to Atlanta, but doesn’t specify which players were involved in talks. You’d have to think Josh Smith would be at the top of that list.
It looks like Memphis will have to fend off questions about trading Gay until he’s part of a playoff push with Memphis.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)