Jun 19, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
From Fox Sports Ohio’s Sam Amico:
A couple insiders have said the Cavs again are exploring some sort of deal for Memphis forward Rudy Gay. Perhaps their best selling point would be to mention how well the Grizzlies fared in the playoffs without him.
Gay continues to be discussed in trade rumors despite management’s insistence he is not available. The same thing happened with O.J. Mayo last season until Mayo was on the verge of heading to Indiana. But Rudy’s a whole other matter. He’s the best player on the Grizzlies (yes, even with Zach Randolph), able to make an impact on both ends of the floor, and was on his way towards a career year before a shoulder injury put him on the shelf and opened up all these rumors.
After all, if you were so good without him, why not trade him for players that are worse than he is and hope they fit? Wait, no, that doesn’t sound right at all.
Cleveland getting RG would be a good call for them, however, giving them a versatile small forward to work with Kyrie Irving and provide scoring punch. Amico also says Cleveland has talked to Atlanta, but doesn’t specify which players were involved in talks. You’d have to think Josh Smith would be at the top of that list.
It looks like Memphis will have to fend off questions about trading Gay until he’s part of a playoff push with Memphis.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29