Jun 19, 2011, 5:00 PM EDT
If Jimmer Fredette’s name drops on down to the No.9 spot in Thursdays draft, it can just keep on sliding, the Bobcats want no part of it. From the Charlotte Observer:
The team has shuttled about two dozen players through Charlotte for workouts. Fredette has not been among them and isn’t on the schedule for the next few days, either.
A Bobcats source indicated that although the team knows it needs outside shooting, it is lukewarm at best toward the idea of drafting Fredette. The Bobcats already have a small point guard in D.J. Augustin and seem to favor bigger, longer players than Fredette 6-foot-2, 196 pounds for that No. 9 slot.
This has to be of some comfort to Bobcats fans. Jordan is renown for drafting highly accomplished college players with limited upside and Fredette’s is a supremely well-regarded college player with incredibly limited upside. His workout antics, challenging Kemba Walker and Brandon Knight, playing the plucky underdog, and riding the wave of opinion that says anyone who is that overrated must in fact be underrated have helped him worm his way into a top-ten position on most draft boards. Many boards have him going high, not because he should, but because they know that some GM will be helpless to resist the hype.
In reality, Fredette’s unlikely to be as terrible as Morrison was. He’s in better condition, has a better array of skills, will be able to survive better at point guard than Morrison had to at small forward. Fredette will probably end up as a pretty decent rotation player. But his skills don’t necessarily translate to a top-10 pick. While the Bobcats have a need for talent at every position, it’s good to see them taking a measured approach instead of grasping at whatever “One Shining Moment”-fed wunderkind is knocking at the gates of hype.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0