Jun 18, 2011, 11:45 AM EDT
Can’t blame the Warriors for trying.
They are shopping Monta Ellis around (and not having great luck), they want to get more defensive, so why not go after the big fish? They did, according to a tweet from Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.
It’s not going to get done right now — and nor are any of your other fanciful trade ideas for Howard (I’m looking at you, Lakers fans) — because Howard is not on the market.
Orlando wants to keep him. Right now they are looking to make their own big move to shake up the roster — they’d be interested in Monta — but they want to put guys next to Howard. Not trade him. After the trades last season to bring in the oversized contracts of Gilbert Arenas and Hedo Turkoglu it will be hard for the Magic to do, but they will try.
As we move into next season (whenever that starts) the Magic could be faced with the same situation that Denver faced with Carmelo Anthony last season — if he tells them he’s not going to re-sign they have to consider trading him (rather than lose him for nothing). But for now their goal is to find a way to impress Howard and keep him.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85