Jun 18, 2011, 11:45 AM EDT
Can’t blame the Warriors for trying.
They are shopping Monta Ellis around (and not having great luck), they want to get more defensive, so why not go after the big fish? They did, according to a tweet from Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.
It’s not going to get done right now — and nor are any of your other fanciful trade ideas for Howard (I’m looking at you, Lakers fans) — because Howard is not on the market.
Orlando wants to keep him. Right now they are looking to make their own big move to shake up the roster — they’d be interested in Monta — but they want to put guys next to Howard. Not trade him. After the trades last season to bring in the oversized contracts of Gilbert Arenas and Hedo Turkoglu it will be hard for the Magic to do, but they will try.
As we move into next season (whenever that starts) the Magic could be faced with the same situation that Denver faced with Carmelo Anthony last season — if he tells them he’s not going to re-sign they have to consider trading him (rather than lose him for nothing). But for now their goal is to find a way to impress Howard and keep him.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 12
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50