Jun 18, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
If you’ve seen the NBA Draft, then you know how this works. The top prospects that the league feels are likely to be lottery selections, and even a few who may be chosen shortly thereafter, are invited to spend the evening in a special “green room” area with friends and family before making the walk to the stage to receive a free hat, and a handshake from commissioner David Stern.
ESPN.com’s Chad Ford brings us the updated list of invites:
Kyrie Irving (Duke); Derrick Williams (Arizona); Enes Kanter (Turkey); Brandon Knight (Kentucky); Kemba Walker (UConn); Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania); Jan Vesely (Czech Republic); Kawhi Leonard (San Diego St.); Chris Singleton (Florida St.); Klay Thompson (Washington St.); Tristan Thompson (Texas); Jimmer Fredette (BYU); Marcus Morris (Kansas); and Alec Burks (Colorado).
A 15th name has been added — Markieff Morris of Kansas. Markieff is Marcus Morris’ twin and also widely considered to be a top 20 draft pick.
As Ford notes, Bismack Biyombo is the big name left off this list, but he’s also one of the biggest question marks, both in terms of talent as well as just how early he might be selected.
The league typically expands the list as draft night approaches, and it’s not uncommon for those not invited to the green room to simply sit in the stands and wait it out, walking to the podium from there when they hear their name announced.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 41
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 59
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 23