Jun 18, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
If you’ve seen the NBA Draft, then you know how this works. The top prospects that the league feels are likely to be lottery selections, and even a few who may be chosen shortly thereafter, are invited to spend the evening in a special “green room” area with friends and family before making the walk to the stage to receive a free hat, and a handshake from commissioner David Stern.
ESPN.com’s Chad Ford brings us the updated list of invites:
Kyrie Irving (Duke); Derrick Williams (Arizona); Enes Kanter (Turkey); Brandon Knight (Kentucky); Kemba Walker (UConn); Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania); Jan Vesely (Czech Republic); Kawhi Leonard (San Diego St.); Chris Singleton (Florida St.); Klay Thompson (Washington St.); Tristan Thompson (Texas); Jimmer Fredette (BYU); Marcus Morris (Kansas); and Alec Burks (Colorado).
A 15th name has been added — Markieff Morris of Kansas. Markieff is Marcus Morris’ twin and also widely considered to be a top 20 draft pick.
As Ford notes, Bismack Biyombo is the big name left off this list, but he’s also one of the biggest question marks, both in terms of talent as well as just how early he might be selected.
The league typically expands the list as draft night approaches, and it’s not uncommon for those not invited to the green room to simply sit in the stands and wait it out, walking to the podium from there when they hear their name announced.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 0
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 3
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 35
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record