Jun 18, 2011, 4:29 PM EST
If you’ve seen the NBA Draft, then you know how this works. The top prospects that the league feels are likely to be lottery selections, and even a few who may be chosen shortly thereafter, are invited to spend the evening in a special “green room” area with friends and family before making the walk to the stage to receive a free hat, and a handshake from commissioner David Stern.
ESPN.com’s Chad Ford brings us the updated list of invites:
Kyrie Irving (Duke); Derrick Williams (Arizona); Enes Kanter (Turkey); Brandon Knight (Kentucky); Kemba Walker (UConn); Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania); Jan Vesely (Czech Republic); Kawhi Leonard (San Diego St.); Chris Singleton (Florida St.); Klay Thompson (Washington St.); Tristan Thompson (Texas); Jimmer Fredette (BYU); Marcus Morris (Kansas); and Alec Burks (Colorado).
A 15th name has been added — Markieff Morris of Kansas. Markieff is Marcus Morris’ twin and also widely considered to be a top 20 draft pick.
As Ford notes, Bismack Biyombo is the big name left off this list, but he’s also one of the biggest question marks, both in terms of talent as well as just how early he might be selected.
The league typically expands the list as draft night approaches, and it’s not uncommon for those not invited to the green room to simply sit in the stands and wait it out, walking to the podium from there when they hear their name announced.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 14
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 36
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 52
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28