Jun 18, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
If you’ve seen the NBA Draft, then you know how this works. The top prospects that the league feels are likely to be lottery selections, and even a few who may be chosen shortly thereafter, are invited to spend the evening in a special “green room” area with friends and family before making the walk to the stage to receive a free hat, and a handshake from commissioner David Stern.
ESPN.com’s Chad Ford brings us the updated list of invites:
Kyrie Irving (Duke); Derrick Williams (Arizona); Enes Kanter (Turkey); Brandon Knight (Kentucky); Kemba Walker (UConn); Jonas Valanciunas (Lithuania); Jan Vesely (Czech Republic); Kawhi Leonard (San Diego St.); Chris Singleton (Florida St.); Klay Thompson (Washington St.); Tristan Thompson (Texas); Jimmer Fredette (BYU); Marcus Morris (Kansas); and Alec Burks (Colorado).
A 15th name has been added — Markieff Morris of Kansas. Markieff is Marcus Morris’ twin and also widely considered to be a top 20 draft pick.
As Ford notes, Bismack Biyombo is the big name left off this list, but he’s also one of the biggest question marks, both in terms of talent as well as just how early he might be selected.
The league typically expands the list as draft night approaches, and it’s not uncommon for those not invited to the green room to simply sit in the stands and wait it out, walking to the podium from there when they hear their name announced.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18