Jun 18, 2011, 7:18 PM EST
Lawrence Frank — the former Nets head man and current lead assistant to Doc Rivers in Boston — may have a real shot at a second head coaching gig.
Frank hit a home run in his interview in Detroit, according to the Toronto Sun.
(Raptors leading candidate Dwane Casey) is slated to interview in Detroit next week, but that isn’t even a certainty since the word out of Detroit is Frank, the other finalist in Toronto, “blew the Pistons away” in his interview on Wednesday.
(Kelvin) Sampson met with Joe Dumars and his staff on Thursday and the club knows its former assistant, (Mike) Woodson very well. Frank was the early favourite in Toronto and has now become the late-charging darkhorse in Detroit.
Woodson has long been considered the frontrunner for that job, with Bill Lambier the local favorite who stands a chance. Frank is the closer trying to catch everyone before the wire. It doesn’t sound like the coach will be in place in Detroit before the draft, and even they hire one next week he would not have much input on the draft.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 12
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 14
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 24
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18