Jun 18, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
Lawrence Frank — the former Nets head man and current lead assistant to Doc Rivers in Boston — may have a real shot at a second head coaching gig.
Frank hit a home run in his interview in Detroit, according to the Toronto Sun.
(Raptors leading candidate Dwane Casey) is slated to interview in Detroit next week, but that isn’t even a certainty since the word out of Detroit is Frank, the other finalist in Toronto, “blew the Pistons away” in his interview on Wednesday.
(Kelvin) Sampson met with Joe Dumars and his staff on Thursday and the club knows its former assistant, (Mike) Woodson very well. Frank was the early favourite in Toronto and has now become the late-charging darkhorse in Detroit.
Woodson has long been considered the frontrunner for that job, with Bill Lambier the local favorite who stands a chance. Frank is the closer trying to catch everyone before the wire. It doesn’t sound like the coach will be in place in Detroit before the draft, and even they hire one next week he would not have much input on the draft.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 2
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24