Jun 18, 2011, 7:18 PM EST
Lawrence Frank — the former Nets head man and current lead assistant to Doc Rivers in Boston — may have a real shot at a second head coaching gig.
Frank hit a home run in his interview in Detroit, according to the Toronto Sun.
(Raptors leading candidate Dwane Casey) is slated to interview in Detroit next week, but that isn’t even a certainty since the word out of Detroit is Frank, the other finalist in Toronto, “blew the Pistons away” in his interview on Wednesday.
(Kelvin) Sampson met with Joe Dumars and his staff on Thursday and the club knows its former assistant, (Mike) Woodson very well. Frank was the early favourite in Toronto and has now become the late-charging darkhorse in Detroit.
Woodson has long been considered the frontrunner for that job, with Bill Lambier the local favorite who stands a chance. Frank is the closer trying to catch everyone before the wire. It doesn’t sound like the coach will be in place in Detroit before the draft, and even they hire one next week he would not have much input on the draft.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14