Jun 18, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
Lawrence Frank — the former Nets head man and current lead assistant to Doc Rivers in Boston — may have a real shot at a second head coaching gig.
Frank hit a home run in his interview in Detroit, according to the Toronto Sun.
(Raptors leading candidate Dwane Casey) is slated to interview in Detroit next week, but that isn’t even a certainty since the word out of Detroit is Frank, the other finalist in Toronto, “blew the Pistons away” in his interview on Wednesday.
(Kelvin) Sampson met with Joe Dumars and his staff on Thursday and the club knows its former assistant, (Mike) Woodson very well. Frank was the early favourite in Toronto and has now become the late-charging darkhorse in Detroit.
Woodson has long been considered the frontrunner for that job, with Bill Lambier the local favorite who stands a chance. Frank is the closer trying to catch everyone before the wire. It doesn’t sound like the coach will be in place in Detroit before the draft, and even they hire one next week he would not have much input on the draft.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65