Jun 18, 2011, 7:18 PM EST
Lawrence Frank — the former Nets head man and current lead assistant to Doc Rivers in Boston — may have a real shot at a second head coaching gig.
Frank hit a home run in his interview in Detroit, according to the Toronto Sun.
(Raptors leading candidate Dwane Casey) is slated to interview in Detroit next week, but that isn’t even a certainty since the word out of Detroit is Frank, the other finalist in Toronto, “blew the Pistons away” in his interview on Wednesday.
(Kelvin) Sampson met with Joe Dumars and his staff on Thursday and the club knows its former assistant, (Mike) Woodson very well. Frank was the early favourite in Toronto and has now become the late-charging darkhorse in Detroit.
Woodson has long been considered the frontrunner for that job, with Bill Lambier the local favorite who stands a chance. Frank is the closer trying to catch everyone before the wire. It doesn’t sound like the coach will be in place in Detroit before the draft, and even they hire one next week he would not have much input on the draft.
- NBA denies Kings’ protest 2
- Kobe Bryant says Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett among best trash talkers he’s faced 8
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 8
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 8
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13