Jun 18, 2011, 1:28 PM EST
The draft rumors are really starting to fly.
One of the big wild cards — in a draft filled with them — is Congolese big man Bismack Biyombo. As we told you in our profile of the shot-blocking big man, pretty much everyone expects the Warriors to take him at No. 11.
Except that according to ESPN’s Chad Ford the Toronto Raptors are going to work him out on Monday and are considering taking him at No. 5. Biyombo just led the second best league in the world (Spanish ABC League) in blocked shots and he should be able to rebound at the NBA level. But his offense is atrocious.
For a Raptors team that wants to focus more on defense — especially if they do hire Dwane Casey as coach — Biyombo could make some sense. But to pass up on talented players who could be available at that spot (some combination of Kemba Walker, Brandon Knight, Enes Kanter, Jan Vesely, Kawhi Leonard will be around) would be tough to do.
If Biyombo does come off the board before they pick, what is Golden State going to do? According to the San Jose Mercury News they very much like Klay Thompson, the best shooter in the draft, who impressed them in a recent workout.
Thompson has impressed everyone. If the Warriors are serious about moving Monta Ellis (and they are, it’s just not that easy) then Thompson makes a lot of sense. You can see him next to Stephen Curry (but the Warriors would still have their defensive issues in the back court). And in a draft where there are questions about everyone, taking the guy who can shoot the lights out seems the wise and safe choice
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 13
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 12
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 15
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29