Jun 17, 2011, 10:17 AM EDT
While people told David Kahn to trade the pick — Ricky Rubio was never going to play in Minnesota, get something of value for him — he was patient.
That patience has been rewarded, Ricky Rubio made official Friday morning in Spain what we all knew would happen — Rubio is coming to the NBA. He held a press conference in Spain to announce his decision, the AP reports.
“It is my dream and I want to fulfill it,” he said. “After thinking about it a lot, the time has arrived.”
Rubio is a YouTube legend, the floppy haired Spanish point guard was playing in the highest league in his country at 16. Two year’s ago at the Beijing Olympics he was facing off against Jason Kidd and the best of the USA in a Gold Medal game. Now at the ripe old age of 20 he is finally coming to the NBA.
He played for Barcelona in Spain, and while reports he was coming to the NBA had been out for weeks he could not make it official until the Spanish league season ended. Barcelona finished on top. Again.
“I think all that I have won here gives me strength to go,” Rubio said….
“It will mean a change of mentality” Rubio said. “Perhaps we won’t be fighting for the title, but we will have other goals. I am willing to do whatever the team needs to win as many games as possible.”
The debate still rages about Rubio, how good he will be in the NBA. Rubio is a tall (6’5″), pass-first point guard who plays good defense and has tremendous court vision, but has a lot of work to do on his jump shot. He’s going to have to adjust to a very different style of play — but the Timberwolves play at the fastest pace in the NBA and those fast breaks will suit his style. Think a poor man’s Rajon Rondo — that’s Rubio’s style of play, but he has a long way to go to be anywhere near as good as the Celtics guard.
But he will get better and evolve. And now with Kevin Love the Wolves have some pieces.
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 0
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 2
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 15
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18