Ricky Rubio makes it official, he is coming to Minnesota

Jun 17, 2011, 10:17 AM EDT

Spanish basketball player Ricky Rubio wa AP

While people told David Kahn to trade the pick — Ricky Rubio was never going to play in Minnesota, get something of value for him — he was patient.

That patience has been rewarded, Ricky Rubio made official Friday morning in Spain what we all knew would happen — Rubio is coming to the NBA. He held a press conference in Spain to announce his decision, the AP reports.

“It is my dream and I want to fulfill it,” he said. “After thinking about it a lot, the time has arrived.”

Rubio is a YouTube legend, the floppy haired Spanish point guard was playing in the highest league in his country at 16. Two year’s ago at the Beijing Olympics he was facing off against Jason Kidd and the best of the USA in a Gold Medal game. Now at the ripe old age of 20 he is finally coming to the NBA.

He played for Barcelona in Spain, and while reports he was coming to the NBA had been out for weeks he could not make it official until the Spanish league season ended. Barcelona finished on top. Again.

“I think all that I have won here gives me strength to go,” Rubio said….

“It will mean a change of mentality” Rubio said. “Perhaps we won’t be fighting for the title, but we will have other goals. I am willing to do whatever the team needs to win as many games as possible.”

The debate still rages about Rubio, how good he will be in the NBA. Rubio is a tall (6’5″), pass-first point guard who plays good defense and has tremendous court vision, but has a lot of work to do on his jump shot. He’s going to have to adjust to a very different style of play — but the Timberwolves play at the fastest pace in the NBA and those fast breaks will suit his style. Think a poor man’s Rajon Rondo — that’s Rubio’s style of play, but he has a long way to go to be anywhere near as good as the Celtics guard.

But he will get better and evolve. And now with Kevin Love the Wolves have some pieces.

1. Justin - Jun 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM

A poor man’s Rajon Rondo? I’m not sold that Rondo is that good until I see him play without 3 sure fire hall of famers. In fact, he didn’t look too stellar at the end of the year and in the playoffs.

• jebdamone - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:39 PM

he also dislocated his elbow…

• Justin - Jun 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM

That wasn’t until after they were down 2-0 to Miami.

• steelyres211 - Jun 17, 2011 at 3:49 PM

He was practically invisible in the 2 losses before that.

• andyhr17 - Jun 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM

This is such a BS slam against Rondo. He’s a passing/ball handling point guard. Take any point guard like that and put him on a mediocre to bad team and his numbers are not going to look at good. You really think John Stockton would be a hall of famer if he played on the Sacramento Kings in the 90′s?

• idywild - Jun 17, 2011 at 8:28 PM

those times you are referring to he was playing injured. not just talking bout the elbow thing either, but look it up and see that he was playing with various injuries the latter part of the season. yet he still had a monster game game 3 against NY and did well Game 2 against Miami (boston’s bench and the other stars are to blame for that loss…not rondo, check the boxscore). again Rubio has proven nothing in the NBA so right now that statement remains true. Let’s see how he (Rubio) does in the NBA first before saying anything. I personally see a bust. His last season with Espana was garbage and word is that is why he is taking his talents to Minny. His old team doesn’t want him anymore.

2. florida727 - Jun 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM

“Think a poor man’s Rajon Rondo — that’s Rubio’s style of play, but he has a long way to go to be anywhere near as good as the Celtics guard.”
    ——————————————
    You’ll eat these words. Rondo will prove to be a poor man’s Rubio. Rondo’s jump shot is pathetic, and Rubio is a FAR better ballhandler and passer. And he’ll prove it. Hopefully MN will get some more puzzle pieces to support him and Love and then they’ll REALLY showcase this kid’s skills.

• idywild - Jun 17, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Rubio ain’t that great of a hot of a shooter…watch how defenses will play him.

3. sknut - Jun 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM

As a T-Wolves fan, it gives me some excitement to have Rubio here, there is a big curosity factor at play and for a franchise that needs any good news this is good news.

4. denverhoopdreams - Jun 17, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I think that Rubio is going to do great in the NBA the more I watch his Euro style… why?

Because he watches the game and molds. In the FIBA games I’ve seen him in he’s always adapting to the other team.. so I think he can adapt to the NBA style play. It could take a year like John Wall.. he’ll be a force, but he will have a lot to learn.

He must be a kid who watches a lot of game tape.

• lebronsinsecurity - Jun 17, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I agree.. I think people take a little too much stock in his Euro stats. The style of play over there is completely different, not only in the actually game play and rotations(almost everyone on the team plays every game), but even in the way they record assists. The kid should be interesting, I remember reading comments somewhere from Chris Paul and Jason Kidd and they were saying how tough it was to protect the ball from Ricky when he was defending you.. As a Wolves fan since the beginning, we finally have something to look forward to, even though we still have no idea how it will all play out. Hey, it’s something..

5. smashmouthrb25 - Jun 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

@Justin….the Celtics fail w/out Rondo…he controls their tempo and their play style…even w/out the Big 3 you cannot take away his hustle and tenacity….to get triple doubles he has to do more than just pass the ball….and Rondo has made Glen Davis look like a star…which we all know he is not

• Justin - Jun 17, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Yeah the criticism was probably misplaced. I guess I was annoyed when calling him a poor man Rajon Rondo already states he will never be as good as Rondo, which we don’t know for sure yet. However, Rondo’s best asset is what is on top of his shoulder, his brain. He knows that offense like no other. And I agree Glen Davis is not a star. He is more circular shaped.

6. savocabol1 - Jun 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I give him one and a half years in Minnesota before he wants out.

7. captainwisdom8888 - Jun 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Rubio’s interpreter 18 months from now: My client has decided that it is much too cold in Minnesota and the absence of his mother has weighed heavily upon him. The Timberwolves and Rubio will be parting ways and thank you for your understanding…

8. randysavage4ever - Jun 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM

good luck rubio, time is now, him & kevin love would be cool…

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview