Jun 17, 2011, 8:10 AM EDT
We’re trying to be optimistic about the upcoming NBA lockout. There will be one, but with the great ratings and all the momentum the NBA picked up this year the two sides would not let it get to the point that training camps and games are lost right? Right?
Um, that’s not exactly how Ray Allen sees it.
The Celtics veteran two guard was presenting $30,000 to a school in the area when he spoke with the media, including the Boston Globe, about the potential lockout.
We’re now in a situation where, at this point once the season ends and the draft comes, there won’t be any immediate hurry to solve the situation right now. There does seem like there’s going to be some games lost. I hope not, but you prepare for the worst. From a team perspective, everybody just try to stay connected with each other so when it breaks we need to hit the ground running. Last time, it sent a lot of guys into retirement. A lot of guys were taken by storm whether they were out of shape or somewhere where they weren’t ready to get to training camp. So you have to stay locked in.
Allen is spot on about a few things. For one, while the lockout starts July 1 there is no real pressure to solve this now. Summer League being lost sucks for us hoop junkies, and free agency gets pushed back, but nobody is losing revenue or paychecks. The pressure will build through late August into September. That’s when the threat of games being lost starts to get real (they will need at least a month for free agency then training camps, that’s what it took last lockout). Know that at least some owners think it will take missed paychecks — the first one for players would be Nov. 15 — to make the union buckle.
Allen also is right that off-season conditioning will matter more if there is a lockout than ever. In Cleveland veterans Baron Davis and Antawn Jamison have started workouts. A lot of Clipper players are showing up already to work together. Other teams are doing it as well.
I just hope he is wrong about missing games.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1