Jun 17, 2011, 2:12 PM EDT
We’ve discussed before that with deal-making Jerry West in the house and a push for some changes in Golden State, Monta Ellis was being made available.
Fourth leading scorer in the NBA, can create his own shot, bring some swagger to the offense, up your team’s tattoo quotient… not a lot of interest around the league. Not as much as you’d think anyway.
Golden State really working the phone lines to move Monta Ellis. Having a hard time drumming up interest. Might get 70 cents on the dollar…. Sounds like the Ellis camp is working the phones also tryin to land in Chicago or Orlando. So far Philly is lukewarm & Clippers not inclined…. A lot of teams feel that Monta is not a winner & have concerns about locker room effect. Teams most likely to fit ORL, NJ, IND, PHO.
Ellis brings some real skills to the table, but it only works in a place that is the right fit. Next Derrick Rose in Chicago, to create a small backcourt of ball-dominating guards, is not a good one. The Clippers need a three not a two. Philly makes a little more sense but the price of Andre Iguodala is a very steep one and would radically alter the team. Orlando needs to do something to shake up the roster and keep Dwight Howard, that at least makes some sense.
Point is, not everyone wants what you are offering which makes doing these kinds of deals are hard — and may be a lot harder after we see the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 1
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 23
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19