Jun 17, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
Isiah Thomas is making some sense.
So, clearly we are not talking trades. But don’t forget Thomas is a Hall of Fame point guard who led a team to multiple rings and knows what it takes to climb the mountain. He got smacked down by the Celtics plenty before he reached the summit.
“When you look back over history, history has a way of really telling the truth and sometimes in the present we tend to forget what happened historically. When I first got into the league I remember watching Magic Johnson dribble out the shot clock in Boston and being called Tragic Johnson. Do you remember how he was one of the most vilified and disliked people because he fired the coach. So Magic went through a lot of turmoil before he became loved again by everyone.
“When you look at history in terms of the players having had success and they fall down and get back up. Very rarely does anyone go through this league where they just have a perfect ascension to the top. They always rise a little then get knocked down, rise a little then get knocked down, rise a little and get knocked down. Even Jordan, he had his ups and downs and his battles with the media, the press, and everything else. He had his ups and down in the league. LeBron isn’t going through anything different than most superstars have gone through in this league.
“The only thing that’s different is the technology. You have the power of the Internet and technology, which has changed the information source and the information flow and has really invited everyone into the conversation. Everyone brings their own opinions but they don’t bring the historical facts to go along with those opinions.”
Not sure the last part is true. But Thomas is right about perspective — we are halfway through LeBron’s career and we have no idea how he will be perceived in eight or 10 years when he retires. Magic, Kobe, there are a lot of players where the perception changed — there was a time when Isiah Thomas was not the butt of jokes.
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 0
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 12
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 12
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 17
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23