Jun 17, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT
Brandon Knight has been avoiding going head-to-head in workouts against the other top guards in the run-up to next week’s NBA draft. If you want to see how he looks against Kemba Walker, pull out the take of the Kentucky against UConn Final Four matchup, because you will not be seeing it in a workout.
So it comes with a bit of irony that the day after Walker and Jimmer Fredette went at it head-to-head so the Utah Jazz could watch, Knight came to town to work out for the Jazz. Alone. He really looked good spinning around the chair on the floor, and if the Celtics go to that on defense Knight is going to put up big numbers.
“The guy I’m trying to work out against is Kyrie Irving,” said Knight, referring to the former Duke point guard widely expected to be taken No. 1 overall by Cleveland.
Irving is not working out for anyone but the Cavs and not against anyone else. You know why? He’s the No. 1 pick. The clear No. 1 pick despite what comes out of Derrick Williams camp. Workouts only hurt him, don’t help. Him not working out is a smart strategy.
Knight… there are questions. He can score but there are questions about him at the point — he is more Tyreke Evans score-first than John Wall pass-first. A lot of people think he’s a combo guard. His left hand is questionable.
But honestly, it’s a smart strategy for him not to go head-to-head either. He’s not as strong physically as Kemba Walker and it would show up in workouts. His passing skills would be put to a difficult test. Again, there’s a bigger chance he gets hurt by workouts rather than helped. So his agent tells him to take the safe road.
That’s one reason the Jazz are still expected to take Knight No. 3 (that and the Jazz need a point guard now).
That’s fine. It’s part of the game. But you can’t call out Irving for the same thing. Unless you enjoy irony.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16