Jun 17, 2011, 6:09 PM EDT
Via the good folks at Blazer’s Edge, here’s a tidbit from ESPN.com’s Chad Ford (insider required) on how the Blazers may be looking to trade up in the draft to find a point guard:
Finally, the Blazers have been aggressive, according to a number of GMs. They are out there looking for a starting point guard and would like to move way up in the draft to get one.
This does make some sense: The Blazers have been known to be aggressive on draft day in the past, and they still haven’t picked up their team option on the ancient Andre Miller, which indicates that they may be looking for a point guard of the future. (Apparently Patty Mills doesn’t quite fit the bill for them.)’
Still, this looks like it’s still very much in the rumor stages. The Blazers have a lot of assets, as they always seem to, and their ability to wheel and deal on draft day should never be underestimated, but they currently hold the 21st pick. Of the four “starting-quality” point guards in the draft (Irving, Knight, Walker, Fredette), none is currently projected to go any lower than 7th, and there’s almost no way the lowest-ranked of them, Fredette, makes it out of the lottery. If the Blazers can pull this off, it’ll be fairly impressive, to say the least.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48