Jun 17, 2011, 6:09 PM EST
Via the good folks at Blazer’s Edge, here’s a tidbit from ESPN.com’s Chad Ford (insider required) on how the Blazers may be looking to trade up in the draft to find a point guard:
Finally, the Blazers have been aggressive, according to a number of GMs. They are out there looking for a starting point guard and would like to move way up in the draft to get one.
This does make some sense: The Blazers have been known to be aggressive on draft day in the past, and they still haven’t picked up their team option on the ancient Andre Miller, which indicates that they may be looking for a point guard of the future. (Apparently Patty Mills doesn’t quite fit the bill for them.)’
Still, this looks like it’s still very much in the rumor stages. The Blazers have a lot of assets, as they always seem to, and their ability to wheel and deal on draft day should never be underestimated, but they currently hold the 21st pick. Of the four “starting-quality” point guards in the draft (Irving, Knight, Walker, Fredette), none is currently projected to go any lower than 7th, and there’s almost no way the lowest-ranked of them, Fredette, makes it out of the lottery. If the Blazers can pull this off, it’ll be fairly impressive, to say the least.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 17
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 4
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11