Jun 17, 2011, 6:09 PM EDT
Via the good folks at Blazer’s Edge, here’s a tidbit from ESPN.com’s Chad Ford (insider required) on how the Blazers may be looking to trade up in the draft to find a point guard:
Finally, the Blazers have been aggressive, according to a number of GMs. They are out there looking for a starting point guard and would like to move way up in the draft to get one.
This does make some sense: The Blazers have been known to be aggressive on draft day in the past, and they still haven’t picked up their team option on the ancient Andre Miller, which indicates that they may be looking for a point guard of the future. (Apparently Patty Mills doesn’t quite fit the bill for them.)’
Still, this looks like it’s still very much in the rumor stages. The Blazers have a lot of assets, as they always seem to, and their ability to wheel and deal on draft day should never be underestimated, but they currently hold the 21st pick. Of the four “starting-quality” point guards in the draft (Irving, Knight, Walker, Fredette), none is currently projected to go any lower than 7th, and there’s almost no way the lowest-ranked of them, Fredette, makes it out of the lottery. If the Blazers can pull this off, it’ll be fairly impressive, to say the least.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13