Jun 17, 2011, 6:09 PM EDT
Via the good folks at Blazer’s Edge, here’s a tidbit from ESPN.com’s Chad Ford (insider required) on how the Blazers may be looking to trade up in the draft to find a point guard:
Finally, the Blazers have been aggressive, according to a number of GMs. They are out there looking for a starting point guard and would like to move way up in the draft to get one.
This does make some sense: The Blazers have been known to be aggressive on draft day in the past, and they still haven’t picked up their team option on the ancient Andre Miller, which indicates that they may be looking for a point guard of the future. (Apparently Patty Mills doesn’t quite fit the bill for them.)’
Still, this looks like it’s still very much in the rumor stages. The Blazers have a lot of assets, as they always seem to, and their ability to wheel and deal on draft day should never be underestimated, but they currently hold the 21st pick. Of the four “starting-quality” point guards in the draft (Irving, Knight, Walker, Fredette), none is currently projected to go any lower than 7th, and there’s almost no way the lowest-ranked of them, Fredette, makes it out of the lottery. If the Blazers can pull this off, it’ll be fairly impressive, to say the least.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 8
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 40
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1