Jun 16, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT
Two months after their season ended. In the middle of what should be the busiest two weeks a general manager has all season leading up to the NBA draft. Sure, now seems like a great time for the Minnesota Timberwolves general manager David Kahn and coach Kurt Rambis to finally sit down and have a face-to-face about last season and decide if it’s time to get a new coach.
Kahn and Rambis finally meeting these next two days to discuss last season and future. Could an actual decision be forthcoming shortly?
Rambis’ job has been rumored to be in jeopardy (the team did have the worst record in the NBA last season), although reports are he’ll get to keep his job but must retool his staff. The question is why did this take so long? While other teams that needed a new coach went out and got their business taken care of Kahn and Rambis had not really spoken. Everyone has taken care of this basic stuff, save the Wolves. Rambis was frustrated. As he should be.
What Kahn has done in his two months off is nail down former first round pick Ricky Rubio, who Zgoda says will formally announce tomorrow he is coming to Minnesota for next season. There are holes in his game but Rubio is good, fast and 20 — he makes this team better.
Is Rambis the right coach for Rubio? It’s a valid question, but one the Wolves should have been asking and answering the week after the season ended, rather than wait to months and the days before the draft.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 23
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23