Jun 16, 2011, 5:31 PM EST
Two months after their season ended. In the middle of what should be the busiest two weeks a general manager has all season leading up to the NBA draft. Sure, now seems like a great time for the Minnesota Timberwolves general manager David Kahn and coach Kurt Rambis to finally sit down and have a face-to-face about last season and decide if it’s time to get a new coach.
Kahn and Rambis finally meeting these next two days to discuss last season and future. Could an actual decision be forthcoming shortly?
Rambis’ job has been rumored to be in jeopardy (the team did have the worst record in the NBA last season), although reports are he’ll get to keep his job but must retool his staff. The question is why did this take so long? While other teams that needed a new coach went out and got their business taken care of Kahn and Rambis had not really spoken. Everyone has taken care of this basic stuff, save the Wolves. Rambis was frustrated. As he should be.
What Kahn has done in his two months off is nail down former first round pick Ricky Rubio, who Zgoda says will formally announce tomorrow he is coming to Minnesota for next season. There are holes in his game but Rubio is good, fast and 20 — he makes this team better.
Is Rambis the right coach for Rubio? It’s a valid question, but one the Wolves should have been asking and answering the week after the season ended, rather than wait to months and the days before the draft.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 5
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 17
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31