Jun 16, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT
Two months after their season ended. In the middle of what should be the busiest two weeks a general manager has all season leading up to the NBA draft. Sure, now seems like a great time for the Minnesota Timberwolves general manager David Kahn and coach Kurt Rambis to finally sit down and have a face-to-face about last season and decide if it’s time to get a new coach.
Kahn and Rambis finally meeting these next two days to discuss last season and future. Could an actual decision be forthcoming shortly?
Rambis’ job has been rumored to be in jeopardy (the team did have the worst record in the NBA last season), although reports are he’ll get to keep his job but must retool his staff. The question is why did this take so long? While other teams that needed a new coach went out and got their business taken care of Kahn and Rambis had not really spoken. Everyone has taken care of this basic stuff, save the Wolves. Rambis was frustrated. As he should be.
What Kahn has done in his two months off is nail down former first round pick Ricky Rubio, who Zgoda says will formally announce tomorrow he is coming to Minnesota for next season. There are holes in his game but Rubio is good, fast and 20 — he makes this team better.
Is Rambis the right coach for Rubio? It’s a valid question, but one the Wolves should have been asking and answering the week after the season ended, rather than wait to months and the days before the draft.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 22
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 27
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16