Jun 16, 2011, 5:11 PM EST
Just another reminder that Michael Jordan still runs the show.
The Sporting News has named its top 10 NBA teams off all time and they named the 1995-96 Bulls — Michael Jordan’s 72 win team with Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, and Phil Jackson as coach — got the top spot.
Um, pretty hard to argue with that. Good defense (Dennis Rodman with Pippen and Jordan), outside shooting (Steve Kerr), solid play inside from Luc Longley. And they won 72 games and a ring. Top that.
The rest of the list is: the 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers (Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain); 3. 1986-87 Los Angeles Lakers (Magic Johnson’s showtime Lakers at their peak); 4. 1985-86 Boston Celtics (Larry Bird’s Celtics at their best); 5. 1964-65 Boston Celtics (the peak of the Bill Russell Celtics); 6. 1966-67 Philadelphia 76ers (another team led by Wilt Chamberlain but this one had very balanced scoring around him); 7. 1982-83 Philadelphia 76ers (Dr. J. and Moses Malone on one team); 8. 1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at his peak playing with Oscar Robertson); 9. 1991-92 Chicago Bulls (more Jordan); 10. 1988-89 Detroit Pistons (best of the Bad Boy Pistons teams).
Not a bad list at all. You could argue for teams like the 1970 Willis Reed Knicks that won 60 games and a ring, or maybe more Jordan’s Bulls teams or Magic’s Lakers teams if you want, but the list is solid.
And you better not argue the top spot.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13