Jun 16, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
Just another reminder that Michael Jordan still runs the show.
The Sporting News has named its top 10 NBA teams off all time and they named the 1995-96 Bulls — Michael Jordan’s 72 win team with Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, and Phil Jackson as coach — got the top spot.
Um, pretty hard to argue with that. Good defense (Dennis Rodman with Pippen and Jordan), outside shooting (Steve Kerr), solid play inside from Luc Longley. And they won 72 games and a ring. Top that.
The rest of the list is: the 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers (Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain); 3. 1986-87 Los Angeles Lakers (Magic Johnson’s showtime Lakers at their peak); 4. 1985-86 Boston Celtics (Larry Bird’s Celtics at their best); 5. 1964-65 Boston Celtics (the peak of the Bill Russell Celtics); 6. 1966-67 Philadelphia 76ers (another team led by Wilt Chamberlain but this one had very balanced scoring around him); 7. 1982-83 Philadelphia 76ers (Dr. J. and Moses Malone on one team); 8. 1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at his peak playing with Oscar Robertson); 9. 1991-92 Chicago Bulls (more Jordan); 10. 1988-89 Detroit Pistons (best of the Bad Boy Pistons teams).
Not a bad list at all. You could argue for teams like the 1970 Willis Reed Knicks that won 60 games and a ring, or maybe more Jordan’s Bulls teams or Magic’s Lakers teams if you want, but the list is solid.
And you better not argue the top spot.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3