Jun 16, 2011, 5:11 PM EDT
Just another reminder that Michael Jordan still runs the show.
The Sporting News has named its top 10 NBA teams off all time and they named the 1995-96 Bulls — Michael Jordan’s 72 win team with Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, and Phil Jackson as coach — got the top spot.
Um, pretty hard to argue with that. Good defense (Dennis Rodman with Pippen and Jordan), outside shooting (Steve Kerr), solid play inside from Luc Longley. And they won 72 games and a ring. Top that.
The rest of the list is: the 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers (Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain); 3. 1986-87 Los Angeles Lakers (Magic Johnson’s showtime Lakers at their peak); 4. 1985-86 Boston Celtics (Larry Bird’s Celtics at their best); 5. 1964-65 Boston Celtics (the peak of the Bill Russell Celtics); 6. 1966-67 Philadelphia 76ers (another team led by Wilt Chamberlain but this one had very balanced scoring around him); 7. 1982-83 Philadelphia 76ers (Dr. J. and Moses Malone on one team); 8. 1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar at his peak playing with Oscar Robertson); 9. 1991-92 Chicago Bulls (more Jordan); 10. 1988-89 Detroit Pistons (best of the Bad Boy Pistons teams).
Not a bad list at all. You could argue for teams like the 1970 Willis Reed Knicks that won 60 games and a ring, or maybe more Jordan’s Bulls teams or Magic’s Lakers teams if you want, but the list is solid.
And you better not argue the top spot.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 18
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 25
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31