Jun 16, 2011, 10:25 AM EDT
Seven Los Angeles gang members may have committed kidnapping and assault in Shaquille O’Neal’s name, but he said he had no knowledge of it.
The prosecutors agree and Shaq will face no charges in the case (the victim allegedly thought Shaq was behind it). Shaq was not named in the criminal complaint, according to the Associated Press.
Seven members of the Main Street Mafia Crip Gang in Los Angeles, led by a man who is reportedly a friend of Shaq’s, kidnapped a man named Robert Ross back in February of 2008. Ross (who also knows Shaq) allegedly has a sex tape (involving Shaq and a woman who was not his wife at the time Shaunie) and the group was trying to get it back and doing it the way gang members tend to deal with problems.
The gang members allegedly kidnapped Ross in Hollywood, forced him to drove to South Central Los Angeles where he was beaten as they demanded the tape. They allegedly took Ross’ Rolex, diamond chain and earrings, and $15,000 in cash. (Who carries around that kind of cash? I am in the wrong business.)
The preliminary trial of the men is this week.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42