Jun 16, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT
Next season, whenever that starts, Ricky Rubio will be with the Minnesota Timberwolves. Whether he brings a jump shot with him is another question, but he will be here.
So what was with his little comment a day ago that he is still talking with Barcelona (the Spanish team where he has played the last two years)?
It’s about money. Like it always it is. Chris Sheridan at ESPN has the details.
Ricky Rubio has already signed a contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves and the holdup keeping him from leaving Barcelona is related to his buyout agreement, multiple sources told ESPN.com.
“This is just a bump in the road for (the Timberwolves),” said one source.
That was supposed to be a $1.2 million buyout. The Wolves can only pay, $500,000 of that. You can bet that part of the negotiations include where Rubio will play next year if there is an NBA lockout.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 11
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 5
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7