Jun 16, 2011, 9:47 PM EDT
Everyone knows the Jazz are in “ground up rebuilding” mode, but a couple surprising names have popped up on the radar.
During ESPN’s Chad Ford chat Thursday he was asked about draft day trades and mentioned the things we all expect — the Cavs to move a point guard, Daryl Morey and the Rockets to be active — then he threw in a real surprise (via CBS Eye on Basketball).
Now, let us start with some notes of caution — Chad Ford is well connected but he throws a lot of stuff up on the wall and only a portion of it comes true. I bet the Jazz talking to teams, I’m just saying the reality is these moves may not happen for a while if at all. Traditionally I’d say Utah is patient with trades, but the whole Deron Williams thing blew that out of the water.
There is just one reason Millsap would be traded — Utah knows Derrick Favors as the future at the four for the team. Millsap felt like part of the future in Utah not long ago, giving them 17.3 points per game (on 53 percent shooting) and 7.3 boards a game last season. He busts it inside. There would be teams very interested in his services.
Harris being shopped implies that Brandon Knight (or maybe Kemba Walker) are high on the Jazz radar. Harris is a quality point guard and they could get real value for him on the market if they planned to turn the keys to the team over to another PG.
We may see more big mores from the Jazz, but if the plan is to build around Favors and whoever is the No. 3 pick, then seeing what the market for Harris and Millsap is makes some sense.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 4
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 13
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 6
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 10
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (100)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'