Jun 16, 2011, 9:47 PM EDT
Everyone knows the Jazz are in “ground up rebuilding” mode, but a couple surprising names have popped up on the radar.
During ESPN’s Chad Ford chat Thursday he was asked about draft day trades and mentioned the things we all expect — the Cavs to move a point guard, Daryl Morey and the Rockets to be active — then he threw in a real surprise (via CBS Eye on Basketball).
Now, let us start with some notes of caution — Chad Ford is well connected but he throws a lot of stuff up on the wall and only a portion of it comes true. I bet the Jazz talking to teams, I’m just saying the reality is these moves may not happen for a while if at all. Traditionally I’d say Utah is patient with trades, but the whole Deron Williams thing blew that out of the water.
There is just one reason Millsap would be traded — Utah knows Derrick Favors as the future at the four for the team. Millsap felt like part of the future in Utah not long ago, giving them 17.3 points per game (on 53 percent shooting) and 7.3 boards a game last season. He busts it inside. There would be teams very interested in his services.
Harris being shopped implies that Brandon Knight (or maybe Kemba Walker) are high on the Jazz radar. Harris is a quality point guard and they could get real value for him on the market if they planned to turn the keys to the team over to another PG.
We may see more big mores from the Jazz, but if the plan is to build around Favors and whoever is the No. 3 pick, then seeing what the market for Harris and Millsap is makes some sense.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 8
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 34
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 82
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19