Jun 16, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
At this point, there is no move the Cavaliers can make that would surprise me. Because, at this point — the absolute nadir of a rebuilding process — what player on that roster do you have to keep?
2 players you can talk to Cavs about now: Ramon Sessions & JJ Hickson. Andy Varejao not available for just a draft pick.
We have known Sessions has been on the market for a while, and you can bet at some point a deal for him will happen (whether that is before the draft is hard to say).
If they really are willing to move Anderson Varejao there may be interest from contenders, he is a guy who can come in and do the dirty work for them. But with Varejao having at least three more years and $27 million owed him (he can be bought out of the last year of his deal) teams will want to see the new Collective Bargaining Agreement before taking on that salary.
Still, look for the Cavaliers to be active with trades. They need to be. They need to do a lot of things.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 42
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 23
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23