Jun 16, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
Exclusive: LeBron James will have to wait at least another year to make his Hollywood debut.
The Miami Heat forward has been attached to star in Universal/Imagine’s sports comedy “Ballers” since September 2009, and after an initial yearlong delay to accommodate his summer 2010 free agency, production was pushed to next month. However, in the wake of Miami’s NBA Finals loss to the Dallas Mavericks, exec producer Michael Rosenberg told Variety that because the script is still being developed, “we are not shooting this summer.”
Story follows five guys who attend the LeBron James Adult Basketball Camp in Las Vegas, but end up dragging the phenom into their myriad life issues.
If and when this movie does ever happen, it probably won’t be all that well-received because of LeBron’s post-“decision” image, even if the script puts Charlie Kaufman’s best work to shame and LeBron turns out to have the acting skills of a 6-8 Daniel-Day Lewis. (It probably won’t, and he probably doesn’t.)
But after a second consecutive season that ended with LeBron exiting the playoffs in just about the most embarrassing fashion imaginable, news that LeBron was filming this movie would have been a complete fiasco. Give LeBron a little credit, I suppose, for knowing that now is not the time to make his Space Jam. That will probably have to wait until he wins a championship.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18