Jun 16, 2011, 7:03 PM EST
Exclusive: LeBron James will have to wait at least another year to make his Hollywood debut.
The Miami Heat forward has been attached to star in Universal/Imagine’s sports comedy “Ballers” since September 2009, and after an initial yearlong delay to accommodate his summer 2010 free agency, production was pushed to next month. However, in the wake of Miami’s NBA Finals loss to the Dallas Mavericks, exec producer Michael Rosenberg told Variety that because the script is still being developed, “we are not shooting this summer.”
Story follows five guys who attend the LeBron James Adult Basketball Camp in Las Vegas, but end up dragging the phenom into their myriad life issues.
If and when this movie does ever happen, it probably won’t be all that well-received because of LeBron’s post-“decision” image, even if the script puts Charlie Kaufman’s best work to shame and LeBron turns out to have the acting skills of a 6-8 Daniel-Day Lewis. (It probably won’t, and he probably doesn’t.)
But after a second consecutive season that ended with LeBron exiting the playoffs in just about the most embarrassing fashion imaginable, news that LeBron was filming this movie would have been a complete fiasco. Give LeBron a little credit, I suppose, for knowing that now is not the time to make his Space Jam. That will probably have to wait until he wins a championship.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 5
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 14
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36