Jun 16, 2011, 2:24 PM EDT
Well, this is just ridiculous. (And if it is a little inside baseball, I appologize now)
This story all starts last year, when we were all
watching suffering through the Carmelo Anthony saga and whether or not Denver would trade him to the Knicks (or the Nets or… let’s not rehash it all, for sake of our own sanity).
Chris Sheridan is a New York based ESPN writer who was on the bandwagon early, writing in December that ‘Melo was bound for the Knicks. Peter Vecsey is the curmudgeonly NBA columnist and rumormonger (and Hall of Famer) for the New York Post who rips nearly everyone.
Vecsey’s article argued that the New York Knicks did not have a good chance of obtaining basketball player Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets and called Sheridan’s reporting the “latest fairy tale” derived from the “same fountains of misinformation that frequently play make-believe with ESPN’s Chris Sheridan.” Sheridan had reported on ESPN.com two days earlier that if Anthony were to be traded from the Nuggets, he would only agree to sign a contract extension if he was traded to the Knicks. Sheridan cited an anonymous source….
Sheridan claims that Vecsey was motivated by his “historic malice towards Mr. Sheridan” and “fabricated an entirely false and sustained tirade against Mr. Sheridan.” Sheridan claims he demanded a retraction from Vecsey and the New York Post on April 7, but that they did not respond.
The lawsuit also notes that comments on the Vecsey’s post story said worse things about Sheridan. Um, yes. Vecsey didn’t write those things, for one. Also, things are said in the comments about every writer and every player that they should just ignore. (With all due respect to the fine commenters at PBT — you guys speak nothing but the truth on every topic!) If you Google yourself you can always read what an idiot you are. Not just Sheridan, Vecsey or Helin or anybody else who writes for a large national paper or site. Part of the gig.
Most of the world reads Vecsey with a huge heaping of salt, laugh a little and move on. Sheridan, apparently, is not with the rest of us on that. So our tax dollars can go to help sort this out. Great.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29