Jun 16, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
Unofficially, Kyrie Irving has been the guy, the clear No. 1 overall pick and the guy Cavaliers officials were excited about picking.
And in a year where there is not a franchise cornerstone clear No. 1, maybe there is something to the indecision — if they really like Williams they can take him No. 1 and still get a point guard like Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker with their No. 4 pick.
“The main reason is we want to do our due diligence on the other guys as well,” (Cavaliers coach Byron) Scott said on why a decision hasn’t been made. “We have a few more workouts we want to get in before we really want to start evaluating on who we think is the best possible pick at No. 1 and who we think is the best at No. 4. So, by no means, has anyone in our organization who has been to our workouts said, ‘Derrick Williams is our first pick’ or ‘Kyrie Irving is our first pick.’
Scott goes on to sing the praises of both. And he is right about one thing (the one thing that makes mock drafts hard) — teams are just now starting to figure out who they really want. Teams, including the Cavaliers, keep a very open mind going into the process.
That said, they’re taking Irving No. 1. Bank on it.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona