Jun 16, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
Unofficially, Kyrie Irving has been the guy, the clear No. 1 overall pick and the guy Cavaliers officials were excited about picking.
And in a year where there is not a franchise cornerstone clear No. 1, maybe there is something to the indecision — if they really like Williams they can take him No. 1 and still get a point guard like Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker with their No. 4 pick.
“The main reason is we want to do our due diligence on the other guys as well,” (Cavaliers coach Byron) Scott said on why a decision hasn’t been made. “We have a few more workouts we want to get in before we really want to start evaluating on who we think is the best possible pick at No. 1 and who we think is the best at No. 4. So, by no means, has anyone in our organization who has been to our workouts said, ‘Derrick Williams is our first pick’ or ‘Kyrie Irving is our first pick.’
Scott goes on to sing the praises of both. And he is right about one thing (the one thing that makes mock drafts hard) — teams are just now starting to figure out who they really want. Teams, including the Cavaliers, keep a very open mind going into the process.
That said, they’re taking Irving No. 1. Bank on it.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10