Mavericks players not so hot on the whole “no rings” idea

Jun 15, 2011, 8:07 AM EDT

APTOPIX NBA Finals Mavericks Heat Basketball AP

Mark Cuban is a billionaire and the owner of an NBA World Champion because he thinks out of the box — not in the clichéd way your boss uses that phrase in a power point, Cuban actually is innovative.

So when it comes to “old school” rings, Cuban talked about trying to be innovative, too. No rings, Dallas was going to do something different he said right after Game 6, while still high on the rush of winning an NBA title.

His players… they want the rings, they told the Associated Press.

“We’ve got to talk to him about that,” said Dirk Nowitzki, the finals MVP. “I don’t think the last word has been spoken yet. We know he always wants to do something different, something bigger. But the ring is just so classic. I think I would vote for a ring. I mean, I’m a man. I don’t know how I’d feel about a bracelet….”

“As a player and a historian of the game, you want the ring,” Terry said. “You look at the Sports Illustrated cover of Bill Russell holding those rings. You’ve seen Phil Jackson’s rings. You want that ring. That means a lot. That’s a thing you can go to your grave with.”

That sentiment continued on through Jason Kidd, coach Rick Carlisle, even team president Donnie Walsh. Such strong sentiment that Cuban is going to have to give in and get them rings.

But they may get that championship belt as well. No rule saying they have to get just a ring.

1. edmazeing1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:14 AM

Cant be mad at the team for wanting rings, not like there my spurs or bulls in the 90s, lakers, boston teams that won more then one can do that…..the guy under me if he“s a mavs fan will hate my comment!!!

2. professoressadiesel - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Cuban will do something crazy. It’s just in his nature. If they happen to talk him into going the ring route, he’ll go over the top and find someway to make the first ever 3-D ring.

• kmike82 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Seriously? I don’t even know how to respond to this…

• professoressadiesel - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Then don’t.

• kmike82 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Okay, I got a response.

Figure out why the “first ever 3-D ring” is dumb. Then slap yourself non stop for hours

• professoressadiesel - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Take the stick out of your *ss, Francis, lighten up. Get a grip. Or any other version of “Get over yourself” you’d like.

• CJ - Jun 15, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I think the guy’s point is that, well, how do I put this, you know those rings that every NBA champ has? Yeah, they’re all in 3D too.

• professoressadiesel - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I get what that guy is saying. But it seems that a lot of others “get” what I was trying to say too. I prefaced what I originally said with how crazy Mark Cuban is; “3D Ring” was being facetious.

Guess I’ll have to hold up the sarcasm sign next time….

3. xtralonghorn08 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM

I think you mean Team President Donnie NELSON. You know… The guy who took all the risks to build this team… Not near enough national or local attention to the job this guy did.

4. cowtownrob - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Team President Donnie Walsh? WTF Kurt? Journalism much?

• philiplewis1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I believe that should be be Donnie Nelson in case you’re wondering. At least you got Cuban’s name right

• tashkalucy - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM

The article wasn’t about Lebron or the Heat.

The writer just wasn’t as interested.

t was about the boring World Champion Mavs that are so backwards they don’t even have their own smoke machine.

• florida727 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Rob, give him a break. He probably just figured this was the only way to get Walsh a ring/bracelet this millennium :)

• sprest83 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Typical pathetic writing by Kurt. Still surprised he is employed.

5. 1historian - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I have a new-found respect for Cuban because he kept his mouth shut for the last few months. But if this story is true – that he won’t have rings made for the team – that’s all out the window.

That is just as no-class as it gets. That is, of course if the story is true.

6. florida727 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:20 AM

They’ll end up with BOTH the ring AND the bracelet. That way Cuban gets what he wants and the players get what they want, without Cuban appearing as having actually listened to someone else. I like Cuban, but like most obscenely successful people, he’s an egomaniac to the nth degree. He became successful by doing things HIS way. However… he’s also clearly shown that he respects his players and caters to their needs. That’s why I say they’ll end up with both. Time will tell.

7. thekingdave - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM

At least he doesn’t start every post out with his last name, then ignore your comment after you call him out for it.

8. d201011 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I don’t know, if Mark Cuban asked if I wanted the ring or one of the Hawaiian islands, I’d have to go with the island.

9. caldreaming - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Perhaps Cuban is thinking of giving each of the players a championship Ferrari, or Lambo, or Maybach, or maybe each will get a championship mansion. Cuban, you so crazy.

10. damp1015 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I think Cuban is overly excited and just doesn’t know what to do with himself. As days pass by, he will come off the championship high and start thinking on a better level. It is great he is wanting to do something out of the box for his team.

11. davidly - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:30 PM

You know who never got a ring? A certain legend who goes by the name of Skibby MaRue! True story.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches