Jun 15, 2011, 8:07 AM EDT
Mark Cuban is a billionaire and the owner of an NBA World Champion because he thinks out of the box — not in the clichéd way your boss uses that phrase in a power point, Cuban actually is innovative.
So when it comes to “old school” rings, Cuban talked about trying to be innovative, too. No rings, Dallas was going to do something different he said right after Game 6, while still high on the rush of winning an NBA title.
His players… they want the rings, they told the Associated Press.
“We’ve got to talk to him about that,” said Dirk Nowitzki, the finals MVP. “I don’t think the last word has been spoken yet. We know he always wants to do something different, something bigger. But the ring is just so classic. I think I would vote for a ring. I mean, I’m a man. I don’t know how I’d feel about a bracelet….”
“As a player and a historian of the game, you want the ring,” Terry said. “You look at the Sports Illustrated cover of Bill Russell holding those rings. You’ve seen Phil Jackson’s rings. You want that ring. That means a lot. That’s a thing you can go to your grave with.”
That sentiment continued on through Jason Kidd, coach Rick Carlisle, even team president Donnie Walsh. Such strong sentiment that Cuban is going to have to give in and get them rings.
But they may get that championship belt as well. No rule saying they have to get just a ring.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 2
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 1
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 52
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6