Jun 15, 2011, 8:07 AM EST
Mark Cuban is a billionaire and the owner of an NBA World Champion because he thinks out of the box — not in the clichéd way your boss uses that phrase in a power point, Cuban actually is innovative.
So when it comes to “old school” rings, Cuban talked about trying to be innovative, too. No rings, Dallas was going to do something different he said right after Game 6, while still high on the rush of winning an NBA title.
His players… they want the rings, they told the Associated Press.
“We’ve got to talk to him about that,” said Dirk Nowitzki, the finals MVP. “I don’t think the last word has been spoken yet. We know he always wants to do something different, something bigger. But the ring is just so classic. I think I would vote for a ring. I mean, I’m a man. I don’t know how I’d feel about a bracelet….”
“As a player and a historian of the game, you want the ring,” Terry said. “You look at the Sports Illustrated cover of Bill Russell holding those rings. You’ve seen Phil Jackson’s rings. You want that ring. That means a lot. That’s a thing you can go to your grave with.”
That sentiment continued on through Jason Kidd, coach Rick Carlisle, even team president Donnie Walsh. Such strong sentiment that Cuban is going to have to give in and get them rings.
But they may get that championship belt as well. No rule saying they have to get just a ring.
- Heat come from 15 down to even season series with Pacers 8
- Report: At the moment, Lakers no longer considering trading Pau gasol 8
- PBT Extra: Damian Lillard or Kyrie Irving? Plus coaching hot seat talk. 6
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 6
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 5
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)