Jun 15, 2011, 8:07 AM EDT
Mark Cuban is a billionaire and the owner of an NBA World Champion because he thinks out of the box — not in the clichéd way your boss uses that phrase in a power point, Cuban actually is innovative.
So when it comes to “old school” rings, Cuban talked about trying to be innovative, too. No rings, Dallas was going to do something different he said right after Game 6, while still high on the rush of winning an NBA title.
His players… they want the rings, they told the Associated Press.
“We’ve got to talk to him about that,” said Dirk Nowitzki, the finals MVP. “I don’t think the last word has been spoken yet. We know he always wants to do something different, something bigger. But the ring is just so classic. I think I would vote for a ring. I mean, I’m a man. I don’t know how I’d feel about a bracelet….”
“As a player and a historian of the game, you want the ring,” Terry said. “You look at the Sports Illustrated cover of Bill Russell holding those rings. You’ve seen Phil Jackson’s rings. You want that ring. That means a lot. That’s a thing you can go to your grave with.”
That sentiment continued on through Jason Kidd, coach Rick Carlisle, even team president Donnie Walsh. Such strong sentiment that Cuban is going to have to give in and get them rings.
But they may get that championship belt as well. No rule saying they have to get just a ring.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42