Jun 15, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
The post-championship celebration of the Dallas Mavericks has led to one of the team’s players being arrested for public intoxication.
DeShawn Stevenson was arrested in Irving, Texas (not far outside Dallas), according to CBS 11 News in Dallas (via Sports By Brooks). He was taken into custody outside a residential complex in the city.
According to police, residents at the complex called authorities saying an intoxicated man was walking through the complex.
John Argumaniz, a spokesman for the Irving Police Department, told CBS 11 News that once at the complex officers found Stevenson and gave him a field sobriety test – he failed.
Stevenson was taken to the Irving Jail, booked on a Public Intoxication Charge and bonded out just before 6:00 Wednesday morning.
This happened without incident. It is unclear if Stevenson lived in the building while in Dallas (he listed a Florida address with the police), or where he was and who he was with while getting this drunk. He has since posted bond and been released.
This was not Stevenson’s first arrest, he has done community service in the past on a statutory rape charge back in Fresno. He has long had the reputation of a head case around the league.
Stevenson, who played well for the Mavericks in the finals hitting threes when left open and defending Dwyane Wade and LeBron James (not to mention the Game 6 shoving match with Udonis Haslem), will be a free agent at the end of the season. There were already questions about how hard Dallas was going to work to keep him in the fold.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 26
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25