Jun 15, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
The post-championship celebration of the Dallas Mavericks has led to one of the team’s players being arrested for public intoxication.
DeShawn Stevenson was arrested in Irving, Texas (not far outside Dallas), according to CBS 11 News in Dallas (via Sports By Brooks). He was taken into custody outside a residential complex in the city.
According to police, residents at the complex called authorities saying an intoxicated man was walking through the complex.
John Argumaniz, a spokesman for the Irving Police Department, told CBS 11 News that once at the complex officers found Stevenson and gave him a field sobriety test – he failed.
Stevenson was taken to the Irving Jail, booked on a Public Intoxication Charge and bonded out just before 6:00 Wednesday morning.
This happened without incident. It is unclear if Stevenson lived in the building while in Dallas (he listed a Florida address with the police), or where he was and who he was with while getting this drunk. He has since posted bond and been released.
This was not Stevenson’s first arrest, he has done community service in the past on a statutory rape charge back in Fresno. He has long had the reputation of a head case around the league.
Stevenson, who played well for the Mavericks in the finals hitting threes when left open and defending Dwyane Wade and LeBron James (not to mention the Game 6 shoving match with Udonis Haslem), will be a free agent at the end of the season. There were already questions about how hard Dallas was going to work to keep him in the fold.
- Kyrie Irving aces, Kevin Love passes first playoff test in Cavaliers win over Celtics 0
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 10
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 19
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6