Mavericks’ Stevenson arrested for public intoxication

Jun 15, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Dallas Mavericks - Game Five Getty Images

The post-championship celebration of the Dallas Mavericks has led to one of the team’s players being arrested for public intoxication.

DeShawn Stevenson was arrested in Irving, Texas (not far outside Dallas), according to CBS 11 News in Dallas (via Sports By Brooks). He was taken into custody outside a residential complex in the city.

According to police, residents at the complex called authorities saying an intoxicated man was walking through the complex.

John Argumaniz, a spokesman for the Irving Police Department, told CBS 11 News that once at the complex officers found Stevenson and gave him a field sobriety test – he failed.

Stevenson was taken to the Irving Jail, booked on a Public Intoxication Charge and bonded out just before 6:00 Wednesday morning.

This happened without incident. It is unclear if Stevenson lived in the building while in Dallas (he listed a Florida address with the police), or where he was and who he was with while getting this drunk. He has since posted bond and been released.

This was not Stevenson’s first arrest, he has done community service in the past on a statutory rape charge back in Fresno. He has long had the reputation of a head case around the league.

Stevenson, who played well for the Mavericks in the finals hitting threes when left open and defending Dwyane Wade and LeBron James (not to mention the Game 6 shoving match with Udonis Haslem), will be a free agent at the end of the season. There were already questions about how hard Dallas was going to work to keep him in the fold.

1. damp1015 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

This guy is reckless. His mouth needs to keep shut, play ball and stay indoors when drinking. Come on, really? Stevenson is probably one part of the Mavs organization that is shameful.

• geraldthecat - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM

that shameful guy had more than a million people that would have given him a ride home.

2. edmazeing1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Did Cuban bail him out? The guy under me will disrespect deshawn, but remeber this man was part of a team that just won it all , let him party!!!

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Are you Hoopstradamus? The guy below you actually disrespected DeShawn!

And I’m sure Deshawn can sleeep happy knowing he got a ring before LeBron… skill set or not.

I can’t believe the police arrested him instead of letting him go somewhere.. Without incident? Why did they still arrest him?

3. worldbfree4me - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Probably got drunk wishing he had LeBron’s money and skill set to go along with that Trophy!

• medtxpack - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM

doesnt matter, he has the trophy, thats all he needs.

4. savocabol1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM

He just won the trophy. His partying won’t stop till tip off of next season. He didn’t hurt anyone, I say keep up the celebrations.

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Completely agreed… cop must of been a LeBron fan.

5. thetooloftools - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

At least he wasn’t driving.
    I give him credit for that.

6. gs7101 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM

This is the same guy who wore a T-shirt with, “Hey LeBron, How My Dirk Taste?” Now he had the chance to taste a few pokey jokes!

7. decimusprime - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM

My guess is the cop would have let him go or given him a ride but Stevenson most likely did as he always does and ran his fat mouth when he should have just shut up and politely told the officer “i just won the NBA championship and am celebrating, im sorry for the trouble.”
    If this happened outside of Dallas i might understand but then again maybe the cop was a heat fan… LOL

Ethier way it put a smile on my face because champ or not Stevenson is a major d-bag who just needs to learn less is more when you talk.

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Andre Ethier put a smile on your face because of Stevenson? WTF? HA I SEE YOU MISPELLED EITHER. OKAY.

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 15, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I actually feel like a Dirk for doing this. damn.

8. skip3525 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I know his agent is pissed.
    He just went from mid level to league min.

9. stinkfingers - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Hey DeShawn… How does prison Dirk taste?

10. monkeyjuice313 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Sounds like he says and does things before thinking. I know it happens to the best of us, but it seems like he’s better at it than the rest of us. Still, congrats on the ring….

11. denverhoopdreams - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Do you all know what arrested without incident means? uhhhhhhhh

12. medtxpack - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

all haters, let em party! without incident, and he wasnt driving. all good in my book…

13. neeciekay - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM

All of you hung-over from your huge disappoint/reality check hatin on DeShawn because he’s still celebrating are pathetic! The “writer” of this article included! So what the man was drunk in public, how many celebs are arrested, repeatedly, for the same thing? Without reason, just because they are drunkards!! This man was NOT driving, he endangered no one’s life, and he is a CHAMP!! Which, in my opinion gives him the right to party and celebrate as long and as much as he wants to!! Then to bring up his prior conviction, with detail of what the circumstances were surronding that, is biased and obviously a ploy by Kurt to over-shadow the fact that DeShawn & the Mavs are the WORLD CHAMPS!! They won fair and square, and with dignity, unlike the Heat! I hope Cuban did pay his bail, that’s what leaders/friends do they stick by their guy! Nice try Kurt, find something else (with true substance) to write about! One day, maybe, you’ll get to write something positive about the Cryami Heat, as you sooo want to do, but, can’t find anything to base it on, LOL!! I’m going to find a shirt just like DeShawn wore, just because Lebron and D.Wade DID ridicule a sick CHAMP, and they paid handsomely for their juvenile ways!! GO MAVS!!!

• edweird0 - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM

So if this was any one else from a different team, the Heat specifically, you would be making the same argument advocating that the cop shoulda let him go? PLEASE, get real. This guys a douche bag and he deserved to go to jail just like everyone else who does the same thing. Stop trying to advocate preferential treatment for an NBA player, lord knows he must get it enough as is. The cop was doing his job. He did the right thing.

• denverhoopdreams - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Actually, if Chris Bosh got arrested for that I’d feel bad for him… and if LeBron did I’d hope that the cops would beat the ego out of him and maybe some people would respect him! D-Wade would probably of instantly been let go.. “OH HEY. D-WADE.. GET ME OUT OF HERE TMOBILE LOL. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? OH THATS NOT T-MOB? HOWS CHARLES?”

Come on man, you are honestly taking what this last guy said wayyy to personally.

• edweird0 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I feel you. When I wrote that I was taking it to seriously. I just hate the double standards people have. I dont support preferential treatment for anyone, not even if it were someone like Wade or anyone else from the Heat. I guess I’m just an asshole like that….

14. fouldwimmerlaik - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM

This is just low. Let the guy celebrate a damn NBA championship!!!! Seriously, he is walking around a private complex drunk and he gets arrested? The cop should be brought up on charges of jackassery.

15. bbrown2523 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Sorry for partying…

16. smashmouthrb25 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:44 PM

So basically because he is a champ he can do whatever the hell he wants and gets a pass b/c his team won the championship? This is why athletes think they can do whatever they want…people give them passes and say “well he just won a huge game so its ok” He is rich…if I am rich why the hell am I getting arrested for public intox…I will be in my mansion passed out on my 50,000$ couch. Granite he wasn’t driving…was not putting other people at harm…fact remains he got money…no reason to get arrested for something as silly as that…call a cab, call Dirk, hell call Cuban…too much money and too many outlets to get arrested for something like that

17. lucky5934 - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:34 PM

All intoxication that happens in bars and clubs eventually leads to Public Intoxication. It’s not like people can magically transport home.

18. decimusprime - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:28 PM

ok 1st, sorry i misspelled either…:-) and 2nd, yes i would advocate the same if had been a heat player, in Miami, if they had won. I know that a little respect goes a long way with the police and i also know Stevenson is a long way from being a little respectful (from what i have seen in the media) so in my opinion if anyone just won a major sports championship and was in the same town as said winner and had contact with law enforcement, if polite and respectful he should have been let go, the cops could have called him a cab or anything else. again just my opinion

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures