Jun 15, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
Every playoffs, some unexpected free agent to be has a fantastic run, one where he is used properly by his current coach, another GM seems to fall in love with his game watching the playoffs then he gets overpaid coming into next season.
Meet J.J. Barea.
The diminutive point guard from Puerto Rico slashed and carved his way through the Lakers, Thunder and Miami, becoming a fan favorite along the way.
Now he is a free agent, but he made it clear to ESPN Dallas where his heart lies.
“It’s a business, but I love Puerto Rico and then I love Dallas,” Barea said. “This city is real special to me, so hopefully (owner) Mark (Cuban) and Donnie and myself, my family will do everything we can to stay here in Dallas.”
What other teams are going to offer (or can offer) will depend on the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, so it is up in the air. There may be ways for Dallas to match that offer. But right now that’s an unknown.
Dallas management has said bringing back Barea is a priority (along with Caron Butler and Tyson Chandler, and more those two probably). There is mutual interest, but if another GM comes in over the top with an oversized offer for a guy who should be a backup point guard, Barea may have to choose between a big payday and Dallas. Not the worst problem to have if you’re him.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 11
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 9
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record