Jun 15, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT
Every playoffs, some unexpected free agent to be has a fantastic run, one where he is used properly by his current coach, another GM seems to fall in love with his game watching the playoffs then he gets overpaid coming into next season.
Meet J.J. Barea.
The diminutive point guard from Puerto Rico slashed and carved his way through the Lakers, Thunder and Miami, becoming a fan favorite along the way.
Now he is a free agent, but he made it clear to ESPN Dallas where his heart lies.
“It’s a business, but I love Puerto Rico and then I love Dallas,” Barea said. “This city is real special to me, so hopefully (owner) Mark (Cuban) and Donnie and myself, my family will do everything we can to stay here in Dallas.”
What other teams are going to offer (or can offer) will depend on the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, so it is up in the air. There may be ways for Dallas to match that offer. But right now that’s an unknown.
Dallas management has said bringing back Barea is a priority (along with Caron Butler and Tyson Chandler, and more those two probably). There is mutual interest, but if another GM comes in over the top with an oversized offer for a guy who should be a backup point guard, Barea may have to choose between a big payday and Dallas. Not the worst problem to have if you’re him.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 14
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50