Jun 15, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
I don’t know how many other ways to interpret a recent tweet from the legendary Laker point guard, which said that the “Lakers should think about calling the Orlando Magic.” (Johnson seems to have quickly deleted the tweet.)
Howard will be a free agent after this season, and after the Magic’s first-round exit despite some great play from Howard, who won his third consecutive Defensive Player of the Year award and had the best offensive season of his career, many believe he is not long for Orlando. The Lakers could offer Andrew Bynum, a great young center in his own right, in return, and Los Angeles would obviously be able to offer Howard both a huge market and a top-notch supporting cast. The Lakers defeated the Magic in the 2009 NBA Finals, with the key game in the series being decided when Derek Fisher hit a three-pointer to send Game 4 into overtime directly after Howard missed two free throws that could have iced the game for Orlando and tied the series at 2.
Still, neither the Lakers or the Magic appear to be itching to trade their centers right now, so these talks will probably stay dormant for a little while — which is probably why the Laker great deleted his tweet. After selling his ownership stake in the Lakers last October, Johnson is no longer officially affiliated with the team.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29