Jun 15, 2011, 8:21 PM EDT
I don’t know how many other ways to interpret a recent tweet from the legendary Laker point guard, which said that the “Lakers should think about calling the Orlando Magic.” (Johnson seems to have quickly deleted the tweet.)
Howard will be a free agent after this season, and after the Magic’s first-round exit despite some great play from Howard, who won his third consecutive Defensive Player of the Year award and had the best offensive season of his career, many believe he is not long for Orlando. The Lakers could offer Andrew Bynum, a great young center in his own right, in return, and Los Angeles would obviously be able to offer Howard both a huge market and a top-notch supporting cast. The Lakers defeated the Magic in the 2009 NBA Finals, with the key game in the series being decided when Derek Fisher hit a three-pointer to send Game 4 into overtime directly after Howard missed two free throws that could have iced the game for Orlando and tied the series at 2.
Still, neither the Lakers or the Magic appear to be itching to trade their centers right now, so these talks will probably stay dormant for a little while — which is probably why the Laker great deleted his tweet. After selling his ownership stake in the Lakers last October, Johnson is no longer officially affiliated with the team.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48