Jun 14, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Shaquille O’Neal is out of basketball but he is still making headlines. And not the kind you want if you are trying to land a television (or law enforcement) gig for next season….
Shaq has been tied to a police investigation about a man being kidnapped and beaten in 2008 by Los Angeles gang members trying to find a sex tape involving Shaq where the woman was not his wife at the time Shaunie, according to TMZ.
Law enforcement sources tell TMZ … Ladell Rowles — a member of the Main Street Mafia Crip Gang in L.A. who is friends with Shaq — along with 6 other members went on a search and destroy mission in L.A. on February 11, 2008. They believed a man named Robert Ross had the sex tape (involving Shaq) and they tried getting it back with the help of a gun or two.
According to the police report, the 7 gang members met up with Ross at a convenience store — Pink Dot — on the Sunset Strip. The men allegedly surrounded Ross’ Rolls Royce Phantom with guns drawn, jumped into Ross’ car and ordered him to drive to Rowles’ house in South Central L.A.
Once there, Rowles allegedly pistol whipped Ross and demanded that he turn over the sex tape. Ross said he would get the tape and bring it back to them. The 7 men then allegedly took Ross’ Rolex, diamond chain and earrings, along with $15,000 in cash — then let Ross go.
The 7 men have been arrested and charged with robbery, kidnapping and other crimes. They are currently in the middle of a preliminary hearing and being held in jail.
Shaq has not been charged with any crime in this case nor do we know if he had knowledge of the alleged actions of the gang members.
TMZ has a whole lot more ugly details, however. Ross apparently had a deal with Shaq that if Ross brought artists to Shaq for his record label profits would be split down the middle. Ross says he delivered Ray J to Shaq but got no money for it. So, Ross was using the tape to essentially blackmail Shaq into giving him his money. (He has the alleged tape because of a security camera at Ross’ home where the act took place.)
Ross also claims to have had an affair with Shaq’s ex-Shaunie.
If I can wish for one thing to happen in this case, it’s not to have the sex tape exist or be released. The thought of a Shaq sex tape is making me throw up in my mouth a little.
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 0
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 8
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 5
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 35
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 14
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3