Jun 14, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
It’s bad enough Heat fans were selling out their seats to Mavericks fans, but now this?
After the Mavs clinched their first ever NBA title on the Miami Heat’s floor, celebrating in their building, the team went to the trendy Liv nightclub (inside the Fontainebleau Hotel) to party — Mark Cuban rented the place out for the night. Probably with some pocket change for him. Anyway the Mavericks were partying with Lil’ Wayne, Trey Songz, other stars and Larry O’Brien.
And Erick Dampier of the Heat. And maybe other members of the Heat (no, not the big three).
Dampier was a member of the Mavericks for six years, he has a lot of friends there… but still.
That just crosses a line. Losing in the finals should hurt. I am good with Chris Bosh breaking down in tears after the game — he wanted this. He cared. It bothered him. As it should. He was not in a place where he could a couple hours later go party with the enemy.
I know that this is not the 1950s where all the players hate the guys on the other team, and nor should it be. Between AAU ball and college and all sorts of off-season activities, I don’t have a problem with players hanging out off the court.
But not with the team that just beat you in the finals. A couple hours after they eliminated you from the finals. That should sting, you need to be mad at them for a while. Mad at yourself for not winning. Not ready to party with them.
- Doc Rivers, Clippers players oppose raising NBA’s age limit 12
- Report: LeBron ‘will look at’ Knicks in free agency now that Phil Jackson is in place 64
- Phil Jackson to Knicks could work. It probably won’t, but it could. 31
- Pau Gasol says Kobe was right to rip Lakers front office 44
- It’s confirmed: Phil Jackson returns to Knicks to head up front office, revive franchise 33