Jun 14, 2011, 3:59 PM EDT
Interesting note from Henry Abbott at TrueHoop — the NBA has yet to announce if there will be suspensions at the start of next season for the mini-altercation between Udonis Haslem and DeShawn Stevenson during Game 6.
On one level I hope there are not any suspensions. It was a minor thing, some pushing and posturing. If there had been a Game 7 part of me would have cheered this outcome because I want to see the players decide the series.
But Abbot is spot on — if there are not it would feel a lot like the league office interpreting the rule to fit what it wants to see rather than applying the rules evenly from case to case. The league in previous situations like this did suspend people and said there could be no exceptions to the rule.
Players had entered the court because a timeout was called, but the rule is clear and it says nothing about timeouts (“During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $50,000”). Back when Amar’e Stoudemire was suspended as a member of the Suns in a controversial play the league — including David Stern — took a hard line saying a rule is a rule. (Abbott has all the quotes.)
And yet in Game 6, there was that rarest of sights: Players (watch Joel Anthony) sprinting from the bench to a fight (to say nothing of Mario Chalmers — playing in the game before the timeout — who sprinted over to antagonize, and took a long time to calm)….
The rule is the rule is the rule is a reasonable position. The rule is the rule is the rule, except once in a while … that does not fly.
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 1
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 1
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 11
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 36
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars