Jun 14, 2011, 10:10 PM EDT
Tennessee freshman Tobias Harris to me symbolizes a lot of what we see in this draft — it’s a question of fit.
He says he’s a three and he seemed more comfortable there in college, but there are questions if he is athletic enough to do that on the NBA level plus he only hit 30.3 percent from three (although he hit 50 percent early in the season). Teams thought of him as a four but at 6’8” he’s a big undersized for that position (although he had a good vertical of 37 at the NBA Draft Combine. Basically, he’s a tweener.
Whatever you call him, Harris can play, but you have to put him on a team where his talents will fit in.
He’s a versatile player and averaged 15.3 points a game, most importantly he was consistent on the court for a Tennessee team that had plenty of off-the-court distractions. He also played his best basketball late, averaging 21 points a game in March.
That versatility has advantages — he is a good ball handler who makes smart decisions. He can score at the rim. DraftExpress called him one of those guys who is very good at taking what the defense gives him. Those kind of guys seem to find a way to adapt in the NBA and make an impact.
But he needs to be used properly. Put him on a fast-paced team where he can handle the ball or make the right play in transition. Put him on a team that uses a lot of motion in its half court sets (think Jerry Sloan Jazz flex sets) where his versatility and hoops IQ can be put to use.
That’s how I feel about a lot of guys in this draft — they have skills that if used in the right system can help teams. But it’s a question of how he develops over time as to how he really works out.
Steve Alexander at NBC’s Rotoworld has him going No. 18 to the Wizards (a team that plays up tempo and should play more that way next season, so there is a fit). DraftExpress says No. 19 to the Bobcats, Chad Ford at ESPN thinks No. 22 to the Nuggets (another good fit).
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 11
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29