Jun 14, 2011, 1:40 PM EST
Your NBA champion Dallas Mavericks will be parading through Dallas starting at 10 a.m. local time Wednesday.
And Mark Cuban is picking up the tab. That’s what he told ESPN Dallas.
“We’ll do it,” Cuban said. “All I told them was — Terdema Ussery, our president — you plan the parade, I’ll pay for it because I don’t think it’s right for the city to have to pay for it. And let’s just have some fun.”
This is a great gesture by Cuban, these parades are expensive (police at it, clean up after, blocking off streets) and Dallas, like every other city in the nation, is in a budget crunch right now. Los Angeles had this issue the last two years and the Lakers and Jerry Buss stepped forward to pick up the tab (Los Angeles was sensitive to the issue after forking out seven digits as a city for issues around the Michael Jackson tribute). Cuban stepped forward and took this issue off the table.
Cuban’s reported bar tab for the team and friends at the Club Liv party the night of the championship — $110,000. Crazy, but compared to Cuban’s net worth it’s really about $7 bucks to him. But good on him for spending without complaints.
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 6
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 7
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 17
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19