Jun 14, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
Your NBA champion Dallas Mavericks will be parading through Dallas starting at 10 a.m. local time Wednesday.
And Mark Cuban is picking up the tab. That’s what he told ESPN Dallas.
“We’ll do it,” Cuban said. “All I told them was — Terdema Ussery, our president — you plan the parade, I’ll pay for it because I don’t think it’s right for the city to have to pay for it. And let’s just have some fun.”
This is a great gesture by Cuban, these parades are expensive (police at it, clean up after, blocking off streets) and Dallas, like every other city in the nation, is in a budget crunch right now. Los Angeles had this issue the last two years and the Lakers and Jerry Buss stepped forward to pick up the tab (Los Angeles was sensitive to the issue after forking out seven digits as a city for issues around the Michael Jackson tribute). Cuban stepped forward and took this issue off the table.
Cuban’s reported bar tab for the team and friends at the Club Liv party the night of the championship — $110,000. Crazy, but compared to Cuban’s net worth it’s really about $7 bucks to him. But good on him for spending without complaints.
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11