Jun 14, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
Your NBA champion Dallas Mavericks will be parading through Dallas starting at 10 a.m. local time Wednesday.
And Mark Cuban is picking up the tab. That’s what he told ESPN Dallas.
“We’ll do it,” Cuban said. “All I told them was — Terdema Ussery, our president — you plan the parade, I’ll pay for it because I don’t think it’s right for the city to have to pay for it. And let’s just have some fun.”
This is a great gesture by Cuban, these parades are expensive (police at it, clean up after, blocking off streets) and Dallas, like every other city in the nation, is in a budget crunch right now. Los Angeles had this issue the last two years and the Lakers and Jerry Buss stepped forward to pick up the tab (Los Angeles was sensitive to the issue after forking out seven digits as a city for issues around the Michael Jackson tribute). Cuban stepped forward and took this issue off the table.
Cuban’s reported bar tab for the team and friends at the Club Liv party the night of the championship — $110,000. Crazy, but compared to Cuban’s net worth it’s really about $7 bucks to him. But good on him for spending without complaints.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 16
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 17
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 47