Jun 14, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
Your NBA champion Dallas Mavericks will be parading through Dallas starting at 10 a.m. local time Wednesday.
And Mark Cuban is picking up the tab. That’s what he told ESPN Dallas.
“We’ll do it,” Cuban said. “All I told them was — Terdema Ussery, our president — you plan the parade, I’ll pay for it because I don’t think it’s right for the city to have to pay for it. And let’s just have some fun.”
This is a great gesture by Cuban, these parades are expensive (police at it, clean up after, blocking off streets) and Dallas, like every other city in the nation, is in a budget crunch right now. Los Angeles had this issue the last two years and the Lakers and Jerry Buss stepped forward to pick up the tab (Los Angeles was sensitive to the issue after forking out seven digits as a city for issues around the Michael Jackson tribute). Cuban stepped forward and took this issue off the table.
Cuban’s reported bar tab for the team and friends at the Club Liv party the night of the championship — $110,000. Crazy, but compared to Cuban’s net worth it’s really about $7 bucks to him. But good on him for spending without complaints.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 42
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4