Jun 14, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT
Your NBA champion Dallas Mavericks will be parading through Dallas starting at 10 a.m. local time Wednesday.
And Mark Cuban is picking up the tab. That’s what he told ESPN Dallas.
“We’ll do it,” Cuban said. “All I told them was — Terdema Ussery, our president — you plan the parade, I’ll pay for it because I don’t think it’s right for the city to have to pay for it. And let’s just have some fun.”
This is a great gesture by Cuban, these parades are expensive (police at it, clean up after, blocking off streets) and Dallas, like every other city in the nation, is in a budget crunch right now. Los Angeles had this issue the last two years and the Lakers and Jerry Buss stepped forward to pick up the tab (Los Angeles was sensitive to the issue after forking out seven digits as a city for issues around the Michael Jackson tribute). Cuban stepped forward and took this issue off the table.
Cuban’s reported bar tab for the team and friends at the Club Liv party the night of the championship — $110,000. Crazy, but compared to Cuban’s net worth it’s really about $7 bucks to him. But good on him for spending without complaints.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20