Jun 14, 2011, 10:29 AM EST
Mavs owner Mark Cuban said it best after the game: “Our fans punked the s— out of Miami’s fans.”
It was obvious in the building with a fair amount of blue shirts sprinkled in among the white, especially close to the Dallas bench area. It became louder and more obvious as the game went on — even on the television broadcast — as the Mavericks fans became vocal and louder than the Heat fans.
But how did they even get in a sold out building? The Miami Herald has the answer.
Michael Lipman, whose company helps resell Heat seats, said Heat ticket holders sold 150 seats to Mavericks fans after the Mavs’ premium seat department inquired. Dallas fans paid as much as $3,000 for first- and second-row seats by the Mavericks’ bench in Game 6, as much as $2,000 a few rows back.
“In Dallas, not one person sold to Heat fans,” Lipman said. “They have longtime loyal fans there.” In Miami, with some of the best seats, “you didn’t necessarily have only Heat fans, but wealthy individuals who are basketball fans and wanted to be a part of this. Some of the fans here said, ‘If I sell this game, it will pay for my whole playoff invoice.’”
That’s not “Fan Up,” Miami. Oh, this is too easy. Fish in a barrel. Just insert your own jokes about Heat fans and their bandwagon nature here, you can do a dozen off the top of your head, too.
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 0
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 1
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 12
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)