Jun 14, 2011, 1:51 AM EDT
Very smart hire by the Charlotte Bobcats.
Rich Cho — who the Blazers surprisingly let go last month because of “chemistry issues” with owner Paul Allen (which seems to happen to a lot of GMs) — has been hired by the Charlotte Bobcats as GM, the team announced late Monday night (via IamaGM.com).
It was a bit of a surprise because nobody knew Charlotte was in the market for a GM. Cho will work with promoted Rod Higgins, now the president of basketball operations. This is a smart hire for Charlotte in another way — Cho is not part of Michael Jordan’s inner circle. It’s a different voice, and it’s good to have different voices in an organization.
The challenges are very different in Charlotte — in Portland the owner is ungodly rich where in Charlotte Michael Jordan is not poor but he’s not in a position to lose a lot of money. The payroll needs to be more in line with league norms. He’ll have to build a winner within the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (whatever that looks like). The Bobcats have 10 guys on the roster — Stephen Jackson might be the only one you trust to score regularly, unless you now believe in Tyrus Thomas — and have $50 million committed in salary for next season.
Cho did a solid job in his one year as GM in Portland, one where the best laid plans of mice and men ran into Brandon Roy’s knees, leaving long range plans to be reworked. Cho made a great move to bring in Gerald Wallace — a trade with Charlotte — at the trade deadline and left behind some good pieces for the net GM to work with. Before that Cho was the No. 2 guy with the Oklahoma City Thunder and he is well respected around the league.
Michael Jordan also may not fire Cho when he speaks out publicly. That will be a nice change of pace.
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 1
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 27
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 24
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26