Jun 14, 2011, 1:51 AM EDT
Very smart hire by the Charlotte Bobcats.
Rich Cho — who the Blazers surprisingly let go last month because of “chemistry issues” with owner Paul Allen (which seems to happen to a lot of GMs) — has been hired by the Charlotte Bobcats as GM, the team announced late Monday night (via IamaGM.com).
It was a bit of a surprise because nobody knew Charlotte was in the market for a GM. Cho will work with promoted Rod Higgins, now the president of basketball operations. This is a smart hire for Charlotte in another way — Cho is not part of Michael Jordan’s inner circle. It’s a different voice, and it’s good to have different voices in an organization.
The challenges are very different in Charlotte — in Portland the owner is ungodly rich where in Charlotte Michael Jordan is not poor but he’s not in a position to lose a lot of money. The payroll needs to be more in line with league norms. He’ll have to build a winner within the new Collective Bargaining Agreement (whatever that looks like). The Bobcats have 10 guys on the roster — Stephen Jackson might be the only one you trust to score regularly, unless you now believe in Tyrus Thomas — and have $50 million committed in salary for next season.
Cho did a solid job in his one year as GM in Portland, one where the best laid plans of mice and men ran into Brandon Roy’s knees, leaving long range plans to be reworked. Cho made a great move to bring in Gerald Wallace — a trade with Charlotte — at the trade deadline and left behind some good pieces for the net GM to work with. Before that Cho was the No. 2 guy with the Oklahoma City Thunder and he is well respected around the league.
Michael Jordan also may not fire Cho when he speaks out publicly. That will be a nice change of pace.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 8
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 17
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34