Jun 13, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Suns swingman Mickael Pietrus has elected to opt in for the fourth year of his contract, agent Bill McCandless told HoopsHype.
“It wasn’t an easy decision, but given the expiration of the CBA we decided that the decision made the most sense,” McCandless said.
Pietrus, who finished his eighth season in the NBA last April, averaged 7.2 ppg and 2.2 rpg this year. After exercising his contract option, Pietrus is due to make $5,300,000 in 2011-12.
Everything seems to make sense here — Pietrus’ solid defense, athleticism, and three-point stroke make him a valuable cog, but his suspect ballhandling and baffling basketball IQ would have kept him from being chased too hard in free agency. Still, Pietrus can be effective on almost any roster, and was a key part of the 2009 Eastern Conference Champion Magic, so I wouldn’t be shocked to see him moved around next season’s trade deadline.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 38
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?