Jun 13, 2011, 12:49 PM EST
Mark Cuban should be enjoying all this.
And he was, if you read his tweets — he even went to bed with the Larry O’Brien trophy (the NBA championship hardware).
this will sound weird. Im laying in bed. with the trophy next me.#dreamcometrue
Then an hour later…
cant sleep. just thinking. In the immortal words of Sarah Melton….#woohoo ! #MFFL #NBACHAMPS ! Say it again #NBACHAMPS !!! #GOMavs
In my limited experience, large metal trophies make poor pillows.
Cuban is loving this and good for him — he is one of the Mavericks I’m most happy for today. You need to remember what this team was when he bought it — it was mentioned with the Clippers as one of the worst run in all of sports. He changed the culture and franchise. Not just with money (although he spent plenty of that, only the Knicks spent more on payroll in the last decade) but with passion for the sport, with a belief in analytics, with will power.
Then he brings the original Mavs owner up on stage to accept the Larry O’Brien trophy. Monday he agreed to pay all the expenses of a Mavericks championship parade through Dallas. He has stayed quiet these playoffs and done all the right things.
For all the stress he may have caused David Stern over the years, he has been one of the best owners in sports. And as a Dodger fan, I have this idea….
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 7
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 11
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30