Jun 13, 2011, 9:42 AM EDT
The good news is nobody is getting suspended from Game 7.
But the league is going to review the tape from an altercation that started between DeShawn Stevenson and Udonis Haslem in the second quarter. If someone did leave the bench to enter the fray they could face a fine and be suspended at the start of next season (whenever that is).
Here is the statement from the league, courtesy the Associated Press.
“A player will not automatically be suspended for leaving the bench if he has already left the bench because a timeout was called,” league spokesman Tim Frank says in a statement. “However, we need to review the circumstances of this particular incident, which we will do, after the game.”
The incident happened in the second quarter. The Heat had hit a shot as part of a little run and so a timeout was called. Stevenson thought Haslem was in his way as the two went to the bench, they bumped into each other then started facing up and jawing. Pretty soon there was a crowd. Mario Chalmers rushed in as the third person and seemed to escalate things, but he had been in the game.
Anytime a player levees a bench to enter a fight there is an automatic suspension. However, guys were already coning out to the floor so it creates a muddy area.
It wasn’t really that big a deal, nothing anyone should be suspended for really. But you know how the league loves to watch tape on these things.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7