Jun 12, 2011, 3:32 PM EDT
By Monday, players have to decide if they are in or out of the NBA draft… well, not college players because the NCAA makes them decide much earlier rather than working out for and getting good information from NBA teams before they make their decision. But that’s another issue.
For the international players, they have until Monday to pull out of the draft, and it looks like a couple expected to go late in the first round may withdraw their name.
Brazilian Lucas Nogueira may be one of those, according to a tweet from NBA.com’s Scott Howard-Cooper. Both Howard-Cooper and Bradley Thayer of DraftExpress said Nogueira looked incredibly raw at the Adidas Eurocamp. He’s an 18-year-old, 7’0” center with some athleticism, so you imagine why he was drawing attention and was considered a late first round pick, but his performance at Eurocamp might well drop him to the second round.
Latvia’s Davis Bertans is the other guy, he will pull out if he does not get a first round promise that a team will draft him, according to ESPN’s Chad Ford. Bertans is a 6’10 small forward who at the Nike Hoop Summit turned heads with his shooting — a quick release and NBA three-point range. But he also struggled some at Eurocamp with his shot and getting blocked at the rim in his workouts according to Ford. He may well not get the promise he desired (he was considered a late first-round pick anyway).
As news comes through on Monday PBT will keep you up to date on who is in and who is out.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3