Jun 12, 2011, 1:22 PM EDT
And you thought David Stern had to get used to Mark Cuban… imagine Charles Barkley, NBA owner.
The Round Mound of Rebound and current analyst for TNT spoke on a conference call to promote the American Century Championship golf tournament — right here on NBC July 15-17 — and was asked about the potential sale of the Sixers (one of his former teams).
While most Sixers fans see the sale as a good thing — Ed Snider cares deeply about the Flyers, the Sixers sometimes feel like an afterthought — Barkley said it’s not as important as the players and coaches.
Then he said he wanted to be part of an ownership group someday.
“I have been asked but I haven’t found one I wanted to do…” Barkley said. “I don’t have enough money to be like a Michael (Jordan, owner of the Charlotte Bobcats) and take complete control of an organization. But it would be fun to, like whether it was in Philadelphia or Phoenix, to put a few million dollars in and be not a speaking owner but just a fun, good investment.”
He said he has not been asked to be part of the new group looking to buy the Sixers
And if you think Barkley could be a non-speaking owner, well, you probably still believe in the tooth fairy. Barkley couldn’t be a non-speaking anything. Not in his DNA.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 0
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 11
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 29
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 11
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 19
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (104)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut