Jun 11, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
One consequence of the super-teams is that you’re always going to be shopping for second-rate players to “fill in the blanks” as Donnie Walsh put it on his conference call when he stepped down. You’re simply never going to have a great amount of options because of how tight your cap is. That can only get worse with the way the CBA negotiations are going.
The Knicks held a free agent summit just to try and get a feel for the landscape in terms of who they’re looking at. And the name at the top of the list afterwards? Bonzi Wells.
Yeah. From the New York Post:
At their two-day free-agent tryout camp that ended yesterday, the player that by far impressed the most was 34-year-old veteran shooting guard Bonzi Wells, who has been out of the league since 2008.
The Knicks actually are considering inviting him to training camp — whenever that is, pending a new labor agreement. Whether they offer him a guaranteed pact is unclear.
Even if Wells blew their socks off, that can’t be an option, right? Two other options may not be as big of names, but they might be better players, or at least younger. Javaris Crittenton and Joe Alexander both attended and impressed, and they have more recent experience in the league. Alexander is one of those guys who always blows people away in workouts and summer league, then never gets a single minute on a team, a workout warrior. Crittenton comes with his own hugely wide collection of baggage, but does have a considerable amount of ability. He was a promising young player before the Arenas situation happened. He’s not great. He’s just not good. He’s just not Bonzi Wells.
And that’s where we stand before an ounce of Knicks’ payroll has to be cut.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14