Jun 11, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
One consequence of the super-teams is that you’re always going to be shopping for second-rate players to “fill in the blanks” as Donnie Walsh put it on his conference call when he stepped down. You’re simply never going to have a great amount of options because of how tight your cap is. That can only get worse with the way the CBA negotiations are going.
The Knicks held a free agent summit just to try and get a feel for the landscape in terms of who they’re looking at. And the name at the top of the list afterwards? Bonzi Wells.
Yeah. From the New York Post:
At their two-day free-agent tryout camp that ended yesterday, the player that by far impressed the most was 34-year-old veteran shooting guard Bonzi Wells, who has been out of the league since 2008.
The Knicks actually are considering inviting him to training camp — whenever that is, pending a new labor agreement. Whether they offer him a guaranteed pact is unclear.
Even if Wells blew their socks off, that can’t be an option, right? Two other options may not be as big of names, but they might be better players, or at least younger. Javaris Crittenton and Joe Alexander both attended and impressed, and they have more recent experience in the league. Alexander is one of those guys who always blows people away in workouts and summer league, then never gets a single minute on a team, a workout warrior. Crittenton comes with his own hugely wide collection of baggage, but does have a considerable amount of ability. He was a promising young player before the Arenas situation happened. He’s not great. He’s just not good. He’s just not Bonzi Wells.
And that’s where we stand before an ounce of Knicks’ payroll has to be cut.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25