Jun 10, 2011, 1:19 PM EST
Scottie Pippen is one of the NBA’s official 50 Greatest Players of All Time. He is a Hall of Famer. He has six rings.
But is he overrated?
There are a lot of people who think he is, and Pippen has always chaffed at that idea, that he was Robin to Jordan’s Batman.
You can count Stan Van Gundy in the group that at least wonders how good Pippen really is. He was being asked by the Orlando Sentinel’s Mike Bianchi about single star teams that have won titles (like Dallas) and said this:
“I have always wondered, as good as Scottie Pippen was, would he have been considered a star if he hadn’t played with Jordan and had to carry a team on his own,” Van Gundy explained. “We’ll never know, but my point is that sometimes we make the determination after the fact. In other words, after Chicago won championships, we branded Pippen a star.”
It’s an interesting question. Pippen was certainly a great defender and his offensive numbers in his peak years were All-Star levels for sure. But was he more than the sum of those numbers, or was he in the right place at the right time?
To me, Pippen deserves the credit he gets — he may have been a perfect fit for that team, but he was a point forward that ran a smart offense and locked guys down. He made big plays. Put simply, other very talented forwards could not have done what Pippen did, and that was not just about MJ.
But you still hear the whispers.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20