Jun 10, 2011, 1:19 PM EDT
Scottie Pippen is one of the NBA’s official 50 Greatest Players of All Time. He is a Hall of Famer. He has six rings.
But is he overrated?
There are a lot of people who think he is, and Pippen has always chaffed at that idea, that he was Robin to Jordan’s Batman.
You can count Stan Van Gundy in the group that at least wonders how good Pippen really is. He was being asked by the Orlando Sentinel’s Mike Bianchi about single star teams that have won titles (like Dallas) and said this:
“I have always wondered, as good as Scottie Pippen was, would he have been considered a star if he hadn’t played with Jordan and had to carry a team on his own,” Van Gundy explained. “We’ll never know, but my point is that sometimes we make the determination after the fact. In other words, after Chicago won championships, we branded Pippen a star.”
It’s an interesting question. Pippen was certainly a great defender and his offensive numbers in his peak years were All-Star levels for sure. But was he more than the sum of those numbers, or was he in the right place at the right time?
To me, Pippen deserves the credit he gets — he may have been a perfect fit for that team, but he was a point forward that ran a smart offense and locked guys down. He made big plays. Put simply, other very talented forwards could not have done what Pippen did, and that was not just about MJ.
But you still hear the whispers.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 0
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 10
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18