Jun 10, 2011, 1:19 PM EDT
Scottie Pippen is one of the NBA’s official 50 Greatest Players of All Time. He is a Hall of Famer. He has six rings.
But is he overrated?
There are a lot of people who think he is, and Pippen has always chaffed at that idea, that he was Robin to Jordan’s Batman.
You can count Stan Van Gundy in the group that at least wonders how good Pippen really is. He was being asked by the Orlando Sentinel’s Mike Bianchi about single star teams that have won titles (like Dallas) and said this:
“I have always wondered, as good as Scottie Pippen was, would he have been considered a star if he hadn’t played with Jordan and had to carry a team on his own,” Van Gundy explained. “We’ll never know, but my point is that sometimes we make the determination after the fact. In other words, after Chicago won championships, we branded Pippen a star.”
It’s an interesting question. Pippen was certainly a great defender and his offensive numbers in his peak years were All-Star levels for sure. But was he more than the sum of those numbers, or was he in the right place at the right time?
To me, Pippen deserves the credit he gets — he may have been a perfect fit for that team, but he was a point forward that ran a smart offense and locked guys down. He made big plays. Put simply, other very talented forwards could not have done what Pippen did, and that was not just about MJ.
But you still hear the whispers.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games