Jun 10, 2011, 8:17 AM EDT
Tony Parker told some French reporters that he didn’t think the Spurs were title contenders anymore.
He later tried to take it all back, which was problematic because there was video of the interview.
Whatever, Gregg Popovich is going to have none of it. He spoke with WOAI-TV sports director Don Harris and the Spurs blog at the San Antonio Express-News had Pops reaction to Parkers thoughts. It’s vintage Popovich.
“You think I care what Tony Parker says?” Popovich told Harris in the snippet from the interview…. “You think Tony Parker is gonna coach when he quits? Why would I listen to Tony Parker?”
When reminded by Harris that Parker already owns a team in France, Popovich went further.
“He can own but he can’t coach,” Popovich said. “Get your –– out there and play, Tony. Tie the score. But talk about basketball, I don’t need Tony for that.”
There you go. Popovich is not going quietly into that good night. And he doesn’t really care what Parker may say or think.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 7
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 13
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34